Unattributed Byzantine(?) Coin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unattributed Byzantine(?) Coin

I acquired this damaged/altered coin and would appreciate some information regarding the issue. Byzantine is not my specialty so I may be incorrect at to the series.

For less than one dollar I purchased it because it is attractively toned and I thought at the time that I might be able to unravel the mystery (boy, was I wrong). To date, I have been unable to make any progress.

AE - 28mm - 6 grams - red brick toning

The coin appears cup-shaped. I'm not sure if this is by design, or if it was damaged into this shape. I can make out what appears to be partial letters/symbols on the obverse (convex) side with the number 2 near the center. On the reverse (concave) side there appears to be a person facing wearing a crown.

At present, I am not sure if these images are double struck or simply the normal design types for the coin that was simply damage in antiquity(?).

Any opinions would be appreciated,

John
    Last edited by John R. Mixter; Oct 6, 2009, 09:48 AM.

Seems to be a modern coin, not Byzantine, because the letter look to be 17th or 18th century for what I saw of the obverse. It may have been converted into a church token, when was not uncommon.

Tom

Comment

Working...
    X