Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

contemporary or modern imitation ? any opinion ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contemporary or modern imitation ? any opinion ?

Dear fellow collectors,

I am collecting coins from the Lugdunum mint and also (especially) their imitations; I just found this one for sale; very interesting coin but I have some doubts about it ; is it a contemporary or a modern imitation ?? The opinion of the seller is that it is an ancient imitation, extremely well done. He may be right but I would greatly appreciate your opinions. For me, the style is too perfect, especially the reverse; but ??

Thank you,

Roland.

Silver, 1.68 grams, 17.30mm.

Obverse: DN IVLIAN-VS AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right. Reverse: VICTORIAE-DD NN AVGG, Victory advancing left, one wing visible, holding wreath and palm. Mintmark LVG in exergue.
    Attached Files

Hello Roland, It's difficult to say if your siliqua is modern or not. It's not the style of the reverse who is inusual but the flank who seem flat, round, thick and without crack. In fact, only keeping the coin in hand will allowed to be sure. So good luck !
    François
    I have me too a nice imitative siliqua from Lyons...
    Attached Files

Comment

great style

Originally posted by planet View Post
      Hello Roland, It's difficult to say if your siliqua is modern or not. It's not the style of the reverse who is inusual but the flank who seem flat, round, thick and without crack. In fact, only keeping the coin in hand will allowed to be sure. So good luck !
      François
      I have me too a nice imitative siliqua from Lyons...
      Thanks François, for your comment; unfortunately, I will have to buy the coin in order to have it in hand; still don't know ....

and thanks for the picture of your imitation ; what a coin !

Stylistically, I find your piece to be very attractive.

here is another julian imitation from my collection (found in England); not as nice as yours but interesting with its engraver's errors.

17 mm ; 1,64 gr
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rol69 View Post
        Thanks François, for your comment; unfortunately, I will have to buy the coin in order to have it in hand; still don't know ....

and thanks for the picture of your imitation ; what a coin !

Stylistically, I find your piece to be very attractive.

here is another julian imitation from my collection (found in England); not as nice as yours but interesting with its engraver's errors.

17 mm ; 1,64 gr
        Roland, You're right, the style of your siliqua is very attractive. My siliqua came certainly from England too, even if I've bought it in an german auction. Some months ago, I've take photos from a publication of recent hoards found in England but I've forgotten to note the title of the book... here is the plate who show siliquae similar to ours coins.

François
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X