Fake Gordian Aureus NGC Slabbed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gibfrog
    started a topic Fake Gordian Aureus NGC Slabbed?

Fake Gordian Aureus NGC Slabbed?

In my opinion this is a pressed fake Gordian Aureus (5.00g per private email) currently on sale for $5960 on Ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220468649881
    http://www.forgerynetwork.com/asset....d=KT24ApRC/PE=
    (Image attached below)
    The same 4.99g fake was previously sold on eBay on Jan 2006 with an authenticity disclaimer
    http://www.forgerynetwork.com/asset....d=9njI6sz3zOA=
    (Image attached below)
    Both the fakes are identical so they must be the same coin and the wieght seems to confrim the pictorial evidence.

Now, this is a published BOCC fake. The obverse is the same as this one, IBSCC Bulletin on Counterfeits BOCS Vol 14 No.1 1989 Page 11 Fig 6
    http://www.forgerynetwork.com/asset....d=vve5g0ZdDSU=
    The obverse & reverse is the same as this one, IBSCC Bulletin on Counterfeits BOCS Vol 14 No.1 1989 Page 11 Fig 7
    http://www.forgerynetwork.com/asset....d=275vPFlMr00=

According to the eBay ad, a NGC slab in included. Per private email, the seller confirmed that NGC has slabbed this coin and wrote -
    "hello,
    My gordianus III is now sold under sealed box by NGC.
    is this NGC mistake or yours?
    Cheers."

Well, who's mistake is it??
    Attached Files

• numismo
    replied
    Originally posted by RobertB View Post
    Q: Hello, Your coin is obviously authentic; a bit expensive however :
    I offer you 4800$ . If you do agree please contact me. Sincerely, Mike.
    A: Hello, If this night nobody place a bid , then this Aureus is yours.
    Aug 24, 2009
    Shill enquiry/bidder perhaps!

Walter Holt

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What's sad is the following comment posted by another ebayer:

Q: Hello, Your coin is obviously authentic; a bit expensive however : I offer you 4800$ . If you do agree please contact me. Sincerely, Mike.
    A: Hello, If this night nobody place a bid , then this Aureus is yours.
    Aug 24, 2009

And this was posted *after* the publicly viewable comments about it being a forgery.

Of course, if the coin is fake; and he's not telling the truth about the NGC slab; then I suppose this comment might as well be fake, too. Welcome to ebay!

Leave a comment:

• gibfrog
    replied
    The seller emailed me the following on 8/21/09, where he claims the coin is certified by NGC.

"hello,
    My gordianus III is now sold under sealed box by NGC.
    is this NGC mistake or yours?
    Cheers."

However, upon further reflection, the time frame looks too short for the coin to have been mailed from France and certified by NGC. Assuming that he mailed it out after I first questioned the coin on the CFDL, because there was no mention on NGC slabbing in the original eBay ad.

Leave a comment:

• delafe
    replied
    I spoke to David Vagi and he does not believe that this coin has been handled by NGC.

In fact, a recent response to a question to the seller via eBay seems to indicate that the seller plans on sending it in to NGC, not that he already has.

Alfred

Leave a comment:

• AnemicOak
    replied
    Originally posted by hcole1989 View Post
    Could not the slab be faked? I have heard that even fake slabs are coming out of China.
    There are fake slabs. Haven't seen any with ancients in them, at least not yet, but you never know. I see no pics of the slab in the eBay listing.

Being in a slab doesn't mean much since, while they'll only slab coins they believe to be genuine, NGC offers no guarantees as to the coins authenticity (when it comes to ancients).

Leave a comment:

• dltcoins
    replied
    If the coin is in a slab, why are all the seller's photos raw?

Dave

Leave a comment:

• hcole1989
    replied
    Could not the slab be faked? I have heard that even fake slabs are coming out of China.

Leave a comment:

• Volodya
    replied
    Originally posted by hydatius View Post
    I've never trusted NGC's ancients expertise anyway.
    Richard
    I don't care to comment about the coin in question, but David Vagi is now NGC's ancients authenticator and grader. Of course David can make mistakes like anyone, but his opinions have to be taken seriously.

Phil Davis

Leave a comment:

• hydatius
    replied
    I would have to agree that

1. the two pictured coins are indeed the same specimen. Note particularly the dip in the edge of the flan at the S on the obverse legend.

2. the BoC examples are also from the same dies (two obverse and one reverse; they looks pressed, as Cliff suggests), though the poor quality of the photos makes it difficult to be certain.

I've never trusted NGC's ancients expertise anyway.

Richard

Leave a comment:

Working...
X