Augustus and Constantine Gold Coins - Sort of

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augustus and Constantine Gold Coins - Sort of

This really isn't a forgery announcement as they wouldn't fool my dog, but has anyone ever seen these or know when they were made?

The Augustus measures 7mm and weighs 0.41 grams
    The Constantine measures 7mm and weighs 0.43 grams

They appear to be made of gold.

Kind of cute, just curious what they are. Thanks.

Barry Murphy
    Attached Files

They might not fool your dog, but mine still hasn't grasped the difference between an aureus and a solidus.

I can still well imagine some poor (human) sod buying the Constantine for a hefty sum on some well known auction site..
    Richard Beale
    Roma Numismatics Limited
    sigpic

Comment

I spent a while trying, but no luck in finding where these came from. My first thought was a Franklin Mint "Roman Emperors" set or somesuch.

The style is interesting. It looks a bit like the designs (not the legends, obviously) were computer derived from genuine coins by using an edge-detection algorithm to capture the major lines.

Ben

Comment

The weight and size are interesting ............
        Lee Toone
        www.hookmoor.com

Comment

Hi,

The Franklin Mint did do a set called Minitures of the World Great Gold Coins, no longer on their website, in 14k gold I believe and these look to be from that set.

Regards,

Mauseus
          sigpic

MAUSEUS on VCoins

Comment

Google did turn up a scanned newspaper advertisement for this set.

It was issued by Franklin Mint in 1984 in a "limited" edition of max 25,000 sets.

50 coins in the set originally selling for $35/coin.

Not a great investment considering that even at today's price there's less than $500 worth of bullion in the set.

Ben

Comment

Thank you to everyone. Odd these have been around since 1984 and this is the first time I've run across them. Must not have been a very popular set.

Barry

Comment

In 1984 gold was, mostly, between $330 and $380 / ounce. For the $1650 price of the set, someone could have assembled a small collection of several actual, historically interesting gold coins -- perhaps even a real gold coin of Augustus or Constantine -- and done quite well for themselves. What a shame to see collectors spend money on such junk instead.

--Robert

Comment

Working...
                X