Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Miscellaneous > Archeology
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Archeology All aspects of archeology, including moral, ethical, and legal considerations.

Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:20 PM   #1
livingwater

View My Photo Gallery
archeology or coin reference books

There's a book by Getzel Cohen "The Hellenisitic Settlements in Syria, the Red Sea and North Africa," 2006. The book sites archeological digs at Epiphaneia, Syria (Biblical Hamath). The digs done in the 1930s resulted in finding 545 ancient coins. None of them had the name Epiphaneia on them. The opinion was that coin reference books that list Epiphaneia, Syria as a mint are probably wrong; that coins bearing this name are more likely from Epiphaneia, Cilicia.

I have a crude example of Tyche/Zeus that Sear, Lindgren, Hunter and Weber say is from Epiphaneia, Syria. I do not have access to SNG Levante, SNG von Aulock or others. I understand it is currently unknown or difficult to determine where some coins were struck. Some ancient cities used the same name. But who is more correct with regard to Epiphaneia, Syria, the coin reference books or a conclusion based on digs sixty years ago? I assume publishers of coin reference books check into the latest research or opinions of numismatic experts rather than just copying an older catalogue. I could not find any information on archeological digs at Epiphaneia, Cilicia, except that some of the area is being plowed and disturbed by farming. Of course, I know some archeologists don't like us collectors due to the looting issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epiphaneia Syria Tyche Zeus AE18 4.2g SG 5871.jpg (43.9 KB, 65 views)
livingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:52 AM   #2
zzantiquities

View My Photo Gallery
Nice coin! Very exciting to find something like this! I know this article is old, but it is still exciting!
www.zzancientart.com
zzantiquities is offline   Reply With Quote