Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Advanced Topics
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Old Aug 7, 2015, 02:52 PM   #1
livingwater

View My Photo Gallery
German proposed law

The proposed new German law restricting the sale of ancient coins is disturbing. A lot of collectors are signing an online petition against this law. I signed. As I understand it, a seller would need to provide a lot of documentation when selling a coin. I assume this provenance is intended to help stop looting and stolen coins.

It makes me wonder about my own record keeping. I have kept most of my sales slips from sellers. This is to keep track of how much I paid, when and where I got the coin. Provenance is great for expensive coins bought from major auctions and for plate coins. But does it really matter to have provenance for inexpensive coins, the tens of thousands of common and low grade coins? For example, will a future buyer of my collection care that I got a coin on ebay in 2001 for $20, not from a well known dealer but from another collector?
livingwater is offline   Reply With Quote