Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Greek
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Greek Ancient Greek coinage.

Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:07 AM   #1
stretrader

View My Photo Gallery
Nose bleed

After viewing coins offered in the up coming Triton Auction I have to ask, is it me or have Ancient Coin prices sky rocketed above and beyond Nose Bleed territory.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 06:47 AM   #2
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretrader View Post
After viewing coins offered in the up coming Triton Auction I have to ask, is it me or have Ancient Coin prices sky rocketed above and beyond Nose Bleed territory.
I completely agree. Many ordinary coins with extraordinary estimates. Anything extraordinary is priced obscenely. Apparently many people are willing to chase anything at any price. I'm not one of those people. It appears you aren't either.
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2015, 12:07 PM   #3
paul1888

View My Photo Gallery
Bleeding does not stop

Bids are exceeding the estimates. Is it me or is there insanity out there? I don't think the average collector is participating.

Paul
paul1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2015, 08:20 AM   #4
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1888 View Post
Bids are exceeding the estimates. Is it me or is there insanity out there? I don't think the average collector is participating.

Paul
I went at this coin til I hit $3,250 and it got trumped. Of course, it could be the consignor bidding up the coin (as this is an allowed practice)

http://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=272601

That is a strong price and the live auction has not started yet. I dropped out on this one, but it will be interesting to see the ultimate outcome. I have already moved my bidding to another auction.

M
Old Jan 9, 2015, 05:15 PM   #5
paul1888

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4to2centophilia View Post
I went at this coin til I hit $3,250 and it got trumped. Of course, it could be the consignor bidding up the coin (as this is an allowed practice)

http://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=272601

That is a strong price and the live auction has not started yet. I dropped out on this one, but it will be interesting to see the ultimate outcome. I have already moved my bidding to another auction.

M
Mark. the coin you bid on sold for $8,000 not including the buyers fee. Wow. Who are the people buying this stuff?

Paul
paul1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2015, 07:02 AM   #6
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1888 View Post
Mark. the coin you bid on sold for $8,000 not including the buyers fee. Wow. Who are the people buying this stuff?

Paul
Yes, I watched the bidding. Most likely a lot of year end bonus money and those flush with stock profits. Prices too high for me to comfortably chase. Fridays Stack-Bower Auction was similar. One more try for me this Monday. I am expecting the same results however.

Mark
Old Jan 22, 2015, 07:41 PM   #7
ibex-coins

View My Photo Gallery
Is it me, or do we have this same observation and discussion every year?
ibex-coins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:57 PM   #8
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibex-coins View Post
Is it me, or do we have this same observation and discussion every year?
yes. and every year. for the last 10 years, the prices have gone higher.