Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Forgeries > Authenticity
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Authenticity Distinguishing between genuine and fake objects.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:05 PM   #1
livingwater

View My Photo Gallery
Real and fake Roman dice

Hello,
I am interested in buying some Roman gaming dice. They were made of several materials; clay, metal and animal bone. I am concerned about fakes. I've attached three photos of Roman dice. One photo shows a single bone dice that was found during an archaeology dig in England. No doubt it's the real thing! Another photo is of three bone dice sold on ebay as modern reproductions. The last photo is of two modern reproduction dice, perhaps made of metal, with dark patina also on ebay. Looks like the modern makers did a good job. It seems it would be rather easy for a person to try and resell these reproductions as ancient. I wonder how a collector or dealer can tell the difference between ancient dice and modern ones? I have access to lots of deer bone and enough talent to use my scroll saw and drill press to make some dice. I'd round the edges a bit, maybe stain them and add encrustation to complete the feat. Then I'll head to Vegas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reproduction roman dice.jpg (8.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg roman dice from excavation england.jpg (30.5 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg reproduction roman dice with patina.jpg (36.4 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by livingwater : Feb 19, 2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: more text
livingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Curio Bill

View My Photo Gallery
Thumbs up

I am sure they could be faked rather easily but an authentic roman die (especially a 20 sided one!! ) would be really nice display alongside a few late Roman bronze folli.
Curio Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 03:22 AM   #3
tibsi

View My Photo Gallery
Hi, I bought two bronze dices. What's your opinion about these? Fake or geniue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d1.jpg (48.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg d2.jpg (56.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg d3.jpg (58.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg d6.jpg (58.1 KB, 46 views)
tibsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2014, 03:47 PM   #4
livingwater

View My Photo Gallery
dice

I'm sorry but I don't have enough experience with ancient dice to give a strong opinion. If you bought them from a long time well known dealer I'd say they are okay. Under a 10X eye glass does the patina look ancient? It's wise to buy from dealers who have handled such things for decades. Their trained eye is the best way to avoid ancient fakes of any kind. I can say the corners look more like they were made with a grinder than with normal wear, which would have made the edges more curved than sharp as these appear. That's just my opinion. I've attached a photo of one of my Roman dice. I'm confident it is genuine and notice the rounded edges worn from many times being rolled. I assume the same type of wear should be on metal dice? Regards, Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one Roman dice.jpg (60.7 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by livingwater : Jun 4, 2014 at 04:03 PM.
livingwater is offline   Reply With Quote