Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Miscellaneous > Interactive Map Project
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Interactive Map Project A project to define and assemble a set of educational maps with ancient themes.

Old Jan 10, 2004, 03:18 AM   #1
bpuetz

View My Photo Gallery
Base Map Definition

You can see the extent of our first base map in our initial animation effort. I would like to expand that to the maximum useful extent so we will have a single map on which to base our future animations.

How much of a map do we need? Of course, all of Europe and the UK, but how far north, south, and east should we go? I want to wind up with a good foundation, but not incur more development time than is necessary. So can we define some sensible extents?

Bill
bpuetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:50 AM   #2
wgsant

View My Photo Gallery
Bill;

Part of the answer to your question would have to be dictated by your timeline. Since we include Romaion (Byzantine) coins as "ancient" does that mean that your map will extend as late as AD 1453? If so, it obviously would cover more geographical area than if it were cut off at AD 476 for example. As a person interested mostly in the Classical World, I may have some prejudices. However, the interest in ancient coinage of Islam and of the Far East has been rising in recent years and I suspect will continue to rise. Therefore, it would seem to me that your map ought to extend eastward to the Pacific and Northward to include Mongolia and Korea. Is there any early coinage in Siberia? Southward, I think it should include Ceylon and the horn of Africa. That would cover all of the early coin producing kingdoms of Africa, Arabia, India and SouthEast Asia. To the north, all of the early coinage that I can think of falls below a line from Britain (Scotland) through Scandinavia to Mongolia. Westward, the Atlantic seems like a reasonable boundary, but there are a few islands off the Atlantic coast that could be included. I don't know what the earliest coinage of Ireland is. Surely there must have been coinage there by late antiquity?? What about Iceland?

Wayne

Wayne G. Sayles
wayne@ancientcoins.ac
wgsant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:09 PM   #3
admin
Administrator

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to admin
Well, you haven't left out much. I decided to contact the people who own the Maptitude GIS product to see if they will allow us to use outline maps generated from their product. If they will allow that, we will be able to handle anything.

Bill
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:12 PM   #4
esnible

View My Photo Gallery
I hope we can get freely useable outline maps of the ancient world.

Several years ago I wanted to use simple static maps on my own web page and found many sites which offered free maps but only for educational and non-commercial use. I couldn't find any high resolution public domain or open source maps.

To get the maps I needed I bought some old public domain atlas pages on eBay and put high-resolution scans on my site. I have four maps, which together represent most (but not all) of ancient Greece. These maps are 100% public domain, for any use whatsoever including commercial use.

http://www.snible.org/greek/

I find it difficult to use these maps on the web. The engraving is detailed and I don't know how to remove it with my graphics programs. That makes it difficult to modify the maps for my own pages.
esnible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:57 PM   #5
bpuetz

View My Photo Gallery
If I am able to make an agreement with one of the GIS companies, they will be modern rather than ancient maps. But with luck we can have dynamic versions, so we can determine the size and scale based on our needs.

If they allow us to use cities, they will also be modern, of course. But we can develop a database listing the ancient equivalents for the modern cities. That would allow us to display either label, and a mouse-over would display the alternate. Your maps would be a valuable resource for that execise.

I'll post back hear as soon as I hear back from the map people.

Bill
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:02 AM   #6
tjbuggey

View My Photo Gallery
IAM project

The Univ. of North Carolina has an ancient world mapping project. They have produced some high resolution PDF format maps. Most are of specific regions e.g. Iberian Penninsula, Greece & Aegean, but the last one down is of the entire mediterranean area. They have a fair use policy that is liberal, but would require the photogapher's name and a three line credit.
They are quite impressive. I think the one with terrain only would be ideal if we wanted to cover that geographic area.

http://iam.classics.unc.edu/map/map_idx.html

Tom
tjbuggey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:33 AM   #7
bpuetz

View My Photo Gallery
Thanks for that link -- I found some updates to my Barrington Atlas by following a link to the Ancient World Mapping Center.

These are great resources, but for use with Flash, I am thinking that outline maps might be better. We might, however, be able to use both. (Fading the terrain into the outline might nice.)

I'll talk with the artist and Flash programmers to see what they think.

Bill
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:58 AM   #8
bpuetz

View My Photo Gallery
If you have a Shockwave plugin, you might want to have a look at some of the maps on this page:

http://www.uoregon.edu/~atlas/europe/maps.html
Old Jan 11, 2004, 01:47 AM   #9
bpuetz

View My Photo Gallery
Here's an online map generator that we may be able to make use of:

http://www.aquarius.geomar.de/omc/omc_intro.html

And here is a sample of exactly the kind of presentation I would like to see us create:

http://www.timemap.net/epublications...animation.html

I have contacted the TimeMap people to see if their tool would be appropriate for our use.

Bill
Old Jan 11, 2004, 07:12 PM   #10
tjbuggey

View My Photo Gallery
Impressive

Wow!!!
tjbuggey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 07:48 PM   #11
bpuetz

View My Photo Gallery
We have some really good news. The TimeMap people have very kindly agreed to allow us to use their products free of any licensing fee! Although we will have a learning curve to work through, we will be able to produce more maps better and faster with their products. So I am a couple of my programming colleagues will get started on the learning curve. We'll try to be ready when the project starts producing new map designs!

For everyone interested in seeing what TimeMap can do, please visit the TimeMap project at the University of Sydney here: TimeMap.

A very special thanks for allowing us to use the TimeMap product go to:

Dr. Ian Johnson
Director, Archaeological Computing Laboratory & TimeMap Project
Archaeological Computing Laboratory
Spatial Science Innovation Unit
University of Sydney