Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Uncleaned
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Uncleaned The unique joys of uncleaned coins.

Old Feb 1, 2007, 05:16 AM   #1
MissouriTiger

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to MissouriTiger
Strange looking coins on ebay - Overcleaned?

Being new here, I wasn't sure where to post this. I figured this was the most appropriate spot.

I am seeing a lot of bizare looking coins on eBay.

First, a number of coins which I knwo muct be bronze, but in the photos they are quite greay, the color of steal. They almost look spray-painted. Have they been cleaned using some sort of electro-plating process? I see a bunch of these, many from the same seller, which suggests some particular cleaning method is giving these results, or maybe it's just the camera? And none of them has so much as a speck of dust on them. See the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Barbarian-Imitat...QQcmdZViewItem

The other thing, also on ebay, I have seen a few coins that are uniformly vivid dark green. See link below. Is this realistic, or has the coin been treated to give an artificial patina?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Barbaric-imitati...QQcmdZViewItem

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not knocking any sellers. Just learning as much as I can.

Greg
MissouriTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 06:33 AM   #2
bbridgwater

View My Photo Gallery
Hi Greg,
In both cases I think it's just the photography that's giving the coins a slightly unnatural color. While you can get quite vivid green patinas, I'd guess that the green coin is actually much darker green in hand, and it's just bright lighting that makes it look that color in the photo. The greyish coin probably has more of a brown tone to it in hand. You can also get essentially black patina on bronze coins, but it's not too common.

Quite often you'll notice that all coins offered by any particular seller on eBay have a unique similar look/coloration to them, which is a result of that seller's photography technique (or rather lack of iit!). People sometimes also use PhotoShop/etc to try to improve their photos, which can also make them look unnatural if done badly (if done right it's not noticable - you're just correcting for deficencies of the original photo).

Ben
bbridgwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Winter Camp

View My Photo Gallery
What Ben says is true. Look at the many denarius for sale. So many (including some of mine) look like aureii. Gold tinted, I mean. One constant I've found in coins for sale is that they invaribly look better in hand. Out of hundreds, only one or two exceptions to this.
Bruce
Winter Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:10 PM   #4
MissouriTiger

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to MissouriTiger
Good to know

It is really good to know that I can expect my purchases to look better in hand.
MissouriTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Incitatus

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Incitatus
The one thing to be aware of would be sellers who offer nothing but coins with the same shiny, greenish patina. They're out there, and they're easy to spot, and the patinas are fake. Scroll through someone's listings for comparison if you're ever unsure!

Cheers,
Steve

Visit us!

www.vcoins.com/ancient/incitatuscoins
Incitatus is offline   Reply With Quote