Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Uncleaned
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Uncleaned The unique joys of uncleaned coins.

Old Feb 8, 2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Scotvs Capitis

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Scotvs Capitis
You have got to LOVE the junk box

So at lunch I went over to the local coin shop that I occasionally browse, very nice people by the way. They usually have some ancients in a box or a few on display. Lately, they have been listing some ancient coins on ebay, which tipped me off that they must have recently purchased a collection. Sure enough, they had a bunch of unsorted coins from a 1940s collection, mostly common stuff. But what really caught my eye was the cigar box filled with a mixture of junk coins and uncleaned coins, labeled "$2 each". Well I had a $20 in my pocket, so I figured what the heck, I'll see what they have.

After 30 minutes of scouring the box of coins infested with all sorts of nasty corrosion and rot, I pulled out a handful of nicer uncleaned coins that show some promise. These pulled coins would be considered premium uncleaned coins by most. Now keep in mind I had to dig and inspect, but it sure beats a random sample of this box of approximately 2000 coins. A random grab at $2 a piece would be a serious let down, but an opportunity to scour a junk box like this is something that should not be passed up.

I pulled out an Aelia Flaccilla AE4, a nice tiny Byzantine, a dirty but strongly struck Helena with a very striking hair-do, a Salonina billon ant, a really strong Fel Temp, a Hadrian provincial, and a Magnus Maximus AE2! Also there was a nice Geta procincial with snake-on-staff reverse, a Gallienus zoo Antoninianus, and a coin with a nice octastyle temple on the reverse. For a $20 outlay. You gotta love a junk box.

Here are the coins in an uncleaned state:

I really love uncleaned coins!!!
Scotvs Capitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 06:04 AM   #2
nhochrein

View My Photo Gallery
Me too :-).
Nathan
nhochrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 09:28 AM   #3
marcus flavius

View My Photo Gallery
In my younger days as a lad going to coin shows I got a charge outta cherry picking "junk" boxes. They really hook beginners into collecting ancients and I'm still at it today.
Alas, don't make it to shows any longer...blame the internet!
OH, decent coins, it was fun reading!
marcus flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 02:25 AM   #4
zzantiquities

View My Photo Gallery
Thumbs up "Junk" = ancient artifacts

Hi,

Yes, the treasure hunt in these uncleaned coin hoards can be so fun!

We are exporters of bulk uncleaned ancient coins, and yes in hoards of seeming "junk" there are are ancient artifacts found in these coin hoards such as ancient rings, medicine pins, fibula pieces, bullae seals, etc., but mostly other coin-chips.

Many of our clients prefer the low/avg-quality uncleaned hoards b/c they like to be the first in 1500-2000+ years to discover what is underneath the dirt/crud/crust, and it is precisely in such seemingly "junk" coin hoards one can find very special treasures of coins.

kindest regards,

B. Leon
www.zzantiquities.com
www.zzancientart.com
zzantiquities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 07:07 AM   #5
djmacdo

View My Photo Gallery
Love the junk box

I have been collecting for over fifty years, and still I cannot resist going through a junk box. Harlan Berk usually has a large one at least at the Chicago show, and I always seem to be able to find something interesting in it. Most dealers, alas, no longer have junk box, which strikes me as a shame. Junk boxes have started many collectors, and they are a great way to begin what often matures into a long standing relationship between dealer and customer.
djmacdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 01:55 PM   #6
zzantiquities

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmacdo View Post
I have been collecting for over fifty years, and still I cannot resist going through a junk box. Harlan Berk usually has a large one at least at the Chicago show, and I always seem to be able to find something interesting in it. Most dealers, alas, no longer have junk box, which strikes me as a shame. Junk boxes have started many collectors, and they are a great way to begin what often matures into a long standing relationship between dealer and customer.
In a hoard of 23kg of uncleaned coins that we are sending this week to a client in USA, there are two ancient (what appear to be) baby rattles, made of metal, sort of like a bell, with a stone or piece of something inside to make the rattle sound...very interesting ancient junk in some of these hoards.

kindest regards,

B. Leon
www.zzantiquities.com
www.zzancientart.com
Old Aug 18, 2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Flavus

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzantiquities View Post
In a hoard of 23kg of uncleaned coins that we are sending this week to a client in USA, there are two ancient (what appear to be) baby rattles, made of metal, sort of like a bell, with a stone or piece of something inside to make the rattle sound...very interesting ancient junk in some of these hoards.

kindest regards,

B. Leon
www.zzantiquities.com
www.zzancientart.com
I understand you say that you have permission from IAA, but I still don't get it knowing how strict they are about every single coin, how they allow you to send almost 50 pounds of uncleaned(!!!) antiquities out of Israel?
Don't get me wrong, I am glad it is still possible, but that just makes no sense to me.
Flavus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:05 PM   #8
zzantiquities

View My Photo Gallery
Legal Antiquities

Hi,

Thanks for message.

If the coins are legally obtained, in legal collections, if you bring the coins for inspection, they have to give you Export Approval for our legal coins.

kindest regards,

B. Leon
www.zzantiquities.com
www.zzancientart.com
Old Feb 2, 2011, 08:01 PM   #9
Flavus

View My Photo Gallery
Aha, I see. Thank you kindly for the explanation.
Flavus is offline   Reply With Quote