Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > General > Attribution Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Attribution Help Ask for and receive help with UAO's (unidentified ancient objects).

Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
eastray

View My Photo Gallery
bactrian-kushan or......? stumped

I just got this in a group of kushan , Indo -greek ....I think it might be the last Greek Bactrian king, Heliocles? Too obscure for my small reference collection. Searching the web.
Any information would be great. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heliocles.jpg (42.2 KB, 30 views)
eastray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:33 PM   #2
djmacdo

View My Photo Gallery
Postumous issue in name of Hermaios

It is a posthumous issue in the name of Hermaios. I will see if I can find the big work by Senior and give an exact citation.

Mac
djmacdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:28 PM   #3
eastray

View My Photo Gallery
Yep

Hello again. You are really being a big help. For my 65th birthday my brother once again sent me a partial hoard of 200 coins to attribute and keep or sell.
He and I bought them them in 1992 when they were cheap for his research on the proper identification of the order of Characene kings and Elymais etc.
He calls the ones he sent hyphenated Indos....
Anyway once I knew the name I found several for sale on V Coins. Adds a bit more information as I follow Kushans, Heppthalites, Uigurs, Satraps and a zillion others around central Asia. All in my beginners attempt to understand slivers of the silk road.
I just got out of the hospital and cleaning and attributing has been so enjoyable...a healing
luxury.

So thanks again, you were of course exactly right. When I'm able (post flood and pacemaker) I will certainly spend days at the ANS library.

regards
Ray
eastray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:35 PM   #4
djmacdo

View My Photo Gallery
Glad

Glad you are doing well! Cleaning, attributing can be relaxing--and sometimes a bit frustrating! I have been working up some material from published sources for an article or two I hope to write, and now I am going through the trial of trying to find some relatively obscure eastern European publications. At least it keeps me off the streets, and for that the neighbors are truly grateful.

Mac
djmacdo is offline   Reply With Quote