Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > General > Beginning Collectors
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Beginning Collectors All topics welcome, but civility is paramount. "Nourish to Flourish"

Old Jan 17, 2010, 04:02 PM   #16
Mark

View My Photo Gallery
Happy New Years to ALL!

I really thank all that have responded to this and my other posts. You are educating an otherwise slothic member of the collecting community.

I do have a question as to the collectibility/value of the following such campgate please, if such is allowed

FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C, laureate, draped & cuirassed bust left / PROVIDENTIAE CAESS, camp gate with two turrets & star above, PLON in ex.

I know from your posts that those attributed to Sirmium are scarce but does this also include the London mint as well?

Qui desiderat pacem, preparet bellum.
"Who desires peace should prepare for War."
Vegetius De Rei Militari III
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:33 PM   #17
marcus flavius

View My Photo Gallery
a real scarce one!

Hi Mark,
Glad to hear you are actively collecting and it seems you got yourself a key Camp from London. As a matter of fact, "Beast" just sold a couple via Vcoin Auctions and you can refer to the archive tab to see the coins themselves and prices realized. I also think I've seen one posted on Mike Vospers website on VCoins.
If you wish to have "Camp Gate" drools see the Constantinople and Sirmiun mint issues that are up for auction on VAuctions.
Sirmiun is a real challenge to acquire and these should fetch some good results.
Though it is sad to see this wonderful collection being sold because Zach produced a stellar website on these coins, I'm happy to be around to at least bid on a few.
I doubt not too many collectors will be able to duplicate this such collection in the future, a very hard feat!
marcus flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:01 AM   #18
hill132

View My Photo Gallery
campgate

Mark,hi.you can always try collecting one from each mint.Heraclea,antioch,thessalonica,Ect.good luck and good hunting.

Doug
hill132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:11 PM   #19
marcus flavius

View My Photo Gallery
Go for it!

Oh, there are so many other collecting avenues; one can collect different laurel wreath/ diadem styles (especially from Cyzicus) and bust sizes (Heraclea has the smallest!). Siscia and Arles mint (among others) also added design features to the Camp Gate itself. Of course, one can attempt to get different number of rows and turrents. Rome mint has a unique series with the initial design and are somewhat scarce and in demand.
I won't dare mention the mintmarks variations!
A real cool, common coin, I even have a T-Sirt with a Camp on the front!
marcus flavius is offline   Reply With Quote