Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Miscellaneous > Antiquities
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Antiquities All ancient non-coin objects.

Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:08 PM   #1
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Photos Of Grrek/Roman gallery at the Met

Fellow enthusiasts

I have been trying to get to the Met to view the new Greek and Roman Gallery at the Met in NYC since it opened last spring. Well I got that opportunity this past Thursday. It is a remarkable place. I spent a couple hours taking photos of a wide range of objects, coins, pottery, glasware, sculptures, armour etc.

I posted a link to flickr, since the photos are too large for this post and I am too lazy resize.

A few photo are a bit out of focus, but that is the fault of the photographer. Despite my best intentions to get to the Met, I had a tempting distraction. John McCain and Sara Pailin were staying at my hotel and I couldn't resist staying up all night talking with the Secret Service detail. I had to manual focus because of the cases and my eyesight was definitely affected by the lack of sleep.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

BTW I did not label the photos, but there are two photos of a finely engraved piece of gold. It is the scabbard from a Greek sword.

BR

Mark

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30875049@N02/show/
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 07:14 PM   #2
TheLoneKnight

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TheLoneKnight
Great pictures thank you for sharing. The Set of armor is amazing!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:25 PM   #3
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Awesome pictures, Mark. I suspect you were being watched very carefully after the 20th picture in the same gallery.

The Naxos stater (or is that a tetradrachm) is particularly nice...too bad it's being squeezed by metal wire at four points around the rim. Yikes.

Jeff
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:54 PM   #4
GMoneti

View My Photo Gallery
Mark, I wish you came with me to the Met last time. Apart from having to say "wow" to myself among all the awesome things, two cameras would've been great, since mine ran out of battery (fresh) and I barely covered the Greco-Roman section. I did take over 250 pics though, and in that regard I gotta say that nobody bothered me for it, except for one time someone yelled at me when I accidentally used the flash. Not many museums are that generous in picture taking. Here are a couple of my coin pics, though scaled down to fit.

Btw, this is from the NY Times:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...s-in-new-york/

"Ms. Palin arrived in New York after a campaign event with Mr. McCain in Pennsylvania.

She exited her Secret Service vehicle in front of the hotel to an empty block: Police and Secret Service had closed down the street and kept every would-be pedestrian indoors about 20 minutes before her arrival".

Seems like being a guest of the Secret Service wasn't optional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Met_Coins.jpg (95.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Met_Coins2.jpg (96.9 KB, 39 views)
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:10 PM   #5
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMoneti View Post

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...s-in-new-york/

"Ms. Palin arrived in New York after a campaign event with Mr. McCain in Pennsylvania.

She exited her Secret Service vehicle in front of the hotel to an empty block: Police and Secret Service had closed down the street and kept every would-be pedestrian indoors about 20 minutes before her arrival".

Seems like being a guest of the Secret Service wasn't optional.
I will tell you this. At 10am on Wed morning I was standing outside the side door of the Hilton on the 54th St side. They blocked the road, put men on the rooftop of the Ziegfield theater, cleared the street of all pedestrians within about 25 feet of the entrance.......................except for some reason they paid no attention to me. Twenty Secret service and about that many NYPD, and little old me....T-shirt, sweats, baseball hat.......half awake smoking a cigarette.

Within 5 minutes two silver SUVs pulled up in front of the door and out comes Pailin. Head down, she makes a straight line past me into the hotel. Only when I said "wow, that's Sara Pailin" did someone in the secret service notice I was standing there and ask me to move all the way down to the street corner.

Same thing happened with McCain a couple times, but this time I was smart enough not to open my mouth.

The SS handling the night detail were a far more relaxed group. Probably because those two were tucked away upstairs for the night.

It was very interesting to watch the entire orchestration of every arrival and departure.

BTW Pailin had such a dour look on her face when she arrived. I didn't realize she had just come from her Katie Couric interview. It made sense once I saw the interview later on.

When you come our for Triton, I would be willing to go to the Met again.

BR

Mark
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:24 PM   #6
GMoneti

View My Photo Gallery
Haha...that's something that would've been more interesting to watch than tonight's debate. They must've thought by your appearance that you are not a threat, although they shouldn't assume such things.

I am definitely up for another tour of the Met, I still have a lot to see.