Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Miscellaneous > Antiquities
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Antiquities All ancient non-coin objects.

Old Feb 21, 2006, 04:57 PM   #1
ancientcoins

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to ancientcoins
What Ancient Artifacts are Out There, and What Were Their Uses???

Hello, to get this board going I figured I'd start this topic. You post any ancient artifact from any culture, and list its uses, etc. I want to see what is commonly available in the artifacts world, I find them almost as amazing as coins and have a few myself. I'll start.

EGYPTIAN:
Ushabtis (little servant statues placed in the tomb to aid the deceased).
Wadget Eye Amulets ( Charms to wear I guess?).
God/Goddess/Idol Amulets ( Charms to wear?).
Statues
Scarabs

Greek:
Rings, earrings, other jewelry
Oil lamps (Lighting)
Statues
Fibulae (Toga pins )

Roman:
Rings, earrings, other jewelry
Oil lamps (lighting)
Statues
Fibulae (toga pins)

Other:
Peruvian Pottery

Andrew

P.S. This is just to start. If you want you can post more and I can edit them into my post..

Last edited by ancientcoins : Feb 21, 2006 at 06:44 PM.
ancientcoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 05:39 PM   #2
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
I'm game. Though, not from the "cradle of civilization," I have a few Pre-columbian pottery pieces to share.

My best (and most complete) piece would be a Classic Period (c. 100-400 AD) polychrome jar (5" height) from the Nazca civilization of Peru. The jar features an unknown feline Nazca diety, and it has been speculated that these decorative jars likely served a ceremonial purpose as opposed to everyday use. The fearce diety on the jar is not unexpected given the heavy militaristic influence of the Nazca and Moche cultures during the Classical Period.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nazca_Peru_100-400AD_Polychrome_Jar.jpg (90.5 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by cogito : Feb 21, 2006 at 07:16 PM.
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Wolfgang336

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfgang336
Personally, I like scarabs. They were amulets of Rebirth / reinarnation that aided an Egyptian to become resurrected in the afterlife. Anybody know what the purpose of the fairly common Eye of Horus was?

I'd also eventually like to aquire a nice small marbe statue.... HJB's Buy or Bid 147 featured a spectacular example of exactly what I want!

Evan

ps. Great pot Cogito! Must've cost you a small fortune!
Wolfgang336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 07:20 PM   #4
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Well you all have me beat on age, however my prized possession is a 18th century carved buddha head from eastern tibet (approx 18 inches high). It was smuggled out during the 50's when many Tibetan religious icons were being defaced and destroyed by the Chinese. I bought it from the private collection of a local Tibetan shop owner. I will post a picture when I get a chance. Not ancient but just as precious to me. It is part of my collection of buddha figures.

Buddhas, vases and ancient greek coins.............go figure

PS That is one heck of a vase. I am green with envy.

Mark
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 07:24 PM   #5
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Evan,

You'd be surprised with how reasonable some Pre-columbian pieces are these days. The market has softened quite a bit, so prices are within the realm of nice mid-to-high grade AR greek coins. The greater danger, however, with Pre-columbian pottery is the plethora of good fakes on the market. As with my ancient coin purchases, I will not buy from dealers without long and well-known reputations and only under conditions of lifetime authenticity (w/ full return) guarantees. Also, I tend to go one step further and recruit the aid of a colleague who can run spectrograph data on the pottery pigments, which are hard to reproduce. The polychrome pottery of the Nazca was painted before firing, so the pigments are baked into the pot during firing. This makes it relatively easy to detect over-painting or other tomfoolery common to the ancient pottery market.

Regards,
Jeff
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 02:06 AM   #6
Incitatus

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Incitatus
My collection of antiquities is a rather broad range of odds and ends - I have a few belt buckles and fibulae, a few scarabs, a pair of mismatched Roman era gaming dice, and a Byzantine era glass bracelet. I also have a Roman style mosaic up in my main room, measuring some 20 square feet, that depicts a lion chasing a stag. And then, of course, there's my reproduction Lorica Segmentata, which is the cuirass a legionary would have worn. My set is authentic to about the 1st century AD, and is also on display in my main room

Steve
Incitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:29 AM   #7
ancientcoins

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to ancientcoins
I would love to have one of those glass bracelets or scarabs. How much do most go for these days? Or do I want to know????

Andrew
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:15 AM   #8
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Look here.

A wealth of artifacts, however I cannot attest to the dealers reputability. Maybe someone here is familiar with him.

http://www.ancient-art.com
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote