Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Miscellaneous > Antiquities
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Antiquities All ancient non-coin objects.

Old Nov 16, 2008, 01:30 PM   #1
bpmurphy
Super Moderator

View My Photo Gallery
Augustus?

Almost looks modern to me.

http://international.ibox.bg/news/id_455439417

Barry Murphy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 256x313.jpg (13.2 KB, 158 views)
bpmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 01:57 PM   #2
GMoneti

View My Photo Gallery
You might be right, Barry. The style looks like it came from one of these monuments to the proletariat. But, maybe it's just an illusion caused by the type of stone that was used in antiquity, and the type of photo that was taken today.

And the possibility that the whole thing is a scam - very likely, considering the circumstances.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monument%20to%20worker.jpg (87.9 KB, 155 views)
Old Nov 16, 2008, 02:27 PM   #3
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMoneti View Post
You might be right, Barry. The style looks like it came from one of these monuments to the proletariat. But, maybe it's just an illusion caused by the type of stone that was used in antiquity, and the type of photo that was taken today.

And the possibility that the whole thing is a scam - very likely, considering the circumstances.

I was waiting for our Bulgarian expert to respond.

A pristine bust of Augustus sent gratis from Sophia..........a scam........say it ain't so.

BTW Whenever your friends want to anonymously send me a 5th cent BC Illyrian helmet...........let me know, and I will forward my mailing address.

See you at Gemini.

Mark
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 03:02 PM   #4
Roma_Orbis

View My Photo Gallery
This head is of modern manufacture. There are a lot of fake marbles coming from Bulgaria; modern Bulgarian engravers are no Italian artists from the Rinascimento, alas. Surprising that a museum curator is fooled by such a thing.

Jérôme

Last edited by Roma_Orbis : Nov 16, 2008 at 03:21 PM.
Roma_Orbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 03:00 PM   #5
GMoneti

View My Photo Gallery
Mark, I'm afraid my "friends" might have sent a few of those helmets, though not to your address, but close enough in the area. And I agree with me being a "Bulgarian expert", except for the "expert" part. But thanks anyway.

Jerome, B. Dimitrov is no fool. However he has his own agenda to follow (and someone elses maybe?). Though he occupies a different position he reminds me of Zahi Hawass in a way. He believes in promoting discoveries in a way that's beneficial to his purpose, regardless of whether he believes in their truthfulness. In this case, even if the bust is indeed a fake (very likely), the "discovery" already received a lot of press, and most people won't know the difference, but there is another "great find" for the officials to record. That's on the side of the actual good and authentic stuff...that does not get recorded.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 03:30 PM   #6
bpmurphy
Super Moderator

View My Photo Gallery
Guess it's kind of like the National Geographic I received today with the story on the looting of artefacts in Israel. In it there's a coin with the caption "A coin minted by Herod the Great ended up for sale in a Bethlehem shop." The photo is of a modern fake, but it proves their point to 99% of their readers.

Barry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ancient-coin-160.jpg (32.3 KB, 128 views)
bpmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:50 PM   #7
Joe Geranio

View My Photo Gallery
The hairstyle and the physiognomy are not Augustan and it looks modern.