Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Miscellaneous > ACE - Ancient Coins for Education
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

ACE - Ancient Coins for Education Topics in support of the ACE project.

Old Jan 16, 2004, 06:42 AM   #1
MagistraZee

View My Photo Gallery
Lightbulb Organizing 1st Ancient Coin Museum in a School

I am proud to say that I am an ACE teacher and now an ancient coin collector! My students are third graders and the youngest to participate in the ACE program. ACE has been very generous to my class and our school. I have learned so much and I am overwhelmed by the outstanding teacher support.

I decided to share the wonderful coins I received through the ACE program and “prize coins” I was awarded by ACE for contributing lessons to the ACE website, by compiling a school "Ancient Coin Museum". I am planning to inaugurate the museum in time for our Open House so others can see the “value” of studying ancient coins.

In addition to the generous donation of coins from ACE, I also want to thank Bill Puetz of Vcoins for sending some Biblical coins to add to the little Ancient Coin museum and thank him for his super website as well. Thanks also to Scott Uhrick for donating some Roman, Greek, and Byzantine coins, and Souzana’s family for donating some animal coins to start a Coin Zoo as part of the display. Another ACE teacher, Cathy in Lexington, KY, is doing the same thing, we’ve heard that we are the only two schools with ancient coin museums in the country.

I am getting some local publicity for the event. Has anyone else ever done a coin display for children? I am wondering if anyone has an opinion about whether or not I should put all the identified coins under glass. I do have some semi culls for people to handle for a hands on section because I want the “visitors” to be able to touch the coins. What do you think?

Zee
MagistraZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 08:00 AM   #2
Hauslohn

View My Photo Gallery
Zee's Coin Docents

I just had to post to add that Zee is training special "Coin Docents" each of them will specialize on one coin in the Coin Museum and Zoo - Isn't that great!

Two questions :
1) Amongst the Coins in the Zoo is a Moesia with Bull and Lion representing Legions VII and IV - a short para about each legion in Moesia from an expert would be a help.... please !

2) As it is too much for that Moesia docent to know a lot about Legions , Bulls and Lions.....Does anyone have an ancient from anywhere with a G/VG Bull reverse PLUS a good image thereof ( we put enlarged images beside each coin so that visitors know what to look for in the details of the actual coin... the images are often of better coins with clearer details, as you will understand) My Cub, Mikhali, is sending an extra lion but he doesn't have a separate bull he will part with !!!

Thank you,
Souzana
Hauslohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 03:01 PM   #3
actobul

View My Photo Gallery
Pannonia Legions

Roman military history is another hobby of mine. Info on individual legions can sometimes be hard to track, but I will dig through my references over the weekend and see what I can come up with on Legio VII and IV.

The museum with docents is a brilliant idea. Good luck with it .

Aaron
actobul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 03:47 PM   #4
bruce61813

View My Photo Gallery
I collect these coins, here is one website that prvides some information:
http://www2.arnes.si/~sspbmate/VIMINACIUM.htm
I have started a virtual collection at:http://tinyurl.com/2lkm7 . There are some of mine posted, yours may be there with some information.

Bruce
Old Jan 16, 2004, 07:08 PM   #5
Hauslohn

View My Photo Gallery
Legion Info

Thanks Aaron,
Teacher Zee needs the chosen 9-10 yr old docent for the Moesia Coin of Gordian III with the Bull and the Lion to have some background info. Since I am sure she has chosen a boy to act as docent for this coin - he will be thrilled with any Legionary background you can give.
As Gordian III would say - Gratias tibi ago !
Souzana for ACE
Old Jan 16, 2004, 07:16 PM   #6
Hauslohn

View My Photo Gallery
Legions in Moesia - Zee's Coin Museum

Hi Bruce,

have alerted Zee to your post.... the site is most helpful,. and I will leave it to her as a teacher to decide what a 9-10 yr old can absorb and retain.
Good luck with your collection
Souzana
Old Jan 16, 2004, 07:27 PM   #7
Hauslohn

View My Photo Gallery
Ancient Coins for Education in your Area

If you are a coin collector or dealer and are interested in passing
your knowledge on to the younger generation - i.e. to students in your area, and know a particular local school who would appreciate taking part in an ancient coin program, then I should tell you that ACE supplies schools free the first year with a basic package of 50 uncleaned late Roman coins, 2 identified Roman coins and the wonderful ACE CD compiled by Scott. It is probably too late for a new school to start this academic year, but it would be great to be in communication with the teacher early so we can set everything up in good time for Fall. Please contact acehelp@earthlink.net or Souzana, via this group.

If you would like to follow the example of many on this Forum and support ACE and our outreach program to bring ancient coins to students, your contribution of coins or funds will receive a tax deductible receipt since we are a registered non profit.

Thank you
Souzana for ACE
Old Jan 17, 2004, 06:07 PM   #8
MagistraZee

View My Photo Gallery
Thanks to Aaron and Bruce for your help.

It is so exiting planning this event. Everyone is being so supportive. The local optomistrist agreed to let me borrow one of his eyeglass display cases for the event. It is going to look great.

I am still wondering about having everything under glass. I have props that I am using next to some of the coins to attract interest. Should I buy a couple of those coin display boxes where you line up the 2 x 2 coin flips inside? I could still put signs outside the boxes for those coins. Any opinions on this?

I also posted on the Ancient Romans forum for ideas there too.

At that site, I have a picture of one of the badges I made for the docents. It's in Latin and says, knowledge is power.

Zee
MagistraZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 11:02 AM   #9
tjbuggey

View My Photo Gallery
Glass

Hi Zee,

You need to request some reproductions of Calabrian coins from Nick at NT ancients.
For practical reasons, I like the glass idea. It just makes sense when you have lots of people and it would serve as a teaser - if you set up times when folks could come in and handle the coins. hey, with 3rd graders and all the mutated viruses going around, you need to be careful.

I love your idea and it is a good example to present to the die hard archaeologists who believe us common folks should not have access to anything ancient.
Now, do something for the steelers!

Good luck with this,

Tom
tjbuggey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 07:37 AM   #10
actobul

View My Photo Gallery
Here is the little bit I was able to find on the legions. I'm afraid it isn't very much, but hopefully it will be enough for your project.

Legio IV Flavia Felix was raised in 48 BC by none other than Julius Ceasar himself. Raised in Macedonis, it was originally known as Legio IV Macedonica (from Macedon). The legion's emblem was the lion. The legion took part in several battles. Curiously these differ depending on which source I look at, but include Dyrrhachium, Pharsalus, and Actium (featuring Marc Antony and Cleopatra).

In 30 BC the legion was transferred to Spain where it helped to quell an uprising. In 43 AD it was transferred to Germania Superior. In Germany the legion helped quell the Batavian revolt of 69 / 70 AD. Emperor Vespatian disbanded the legion in 70AD for reasons unknowk, but he reinstated it shortly thereafter with the name "Flavia Felix" ("Vespatian's Fortunate") and posted to Singidunum, modern-day Belgrade.

I was able to uncover much less about Legio VII Claudia Pia Fidelis (Loyal and Faithful to Claudius). I have been able to verify that the legion was stationed in Viminiacum (modern-day Kostolac) and that it's emblem was the bull. Viminiacum was also the base of the Danubian Fleet, which may indicate that Legio VII was a sort of marine force.

Both legions would have been very active in Gordian III's brief reign. Pannonia was under sporadic attack from the Goths across the Danube.Some time around 242 AD Gordian, on his way to deal with another invasion by the Persians under King Shapur I, repulsed a large Goth attack with the help of both of our legions.

I hope this was enough. I'm going to keep digging for more info on Legio VII. Unfortunately most of my references are on the Punic Wars.

Aaron
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:28 AM   #11
Hauslohn

View My Photo Gallery
Aaron ...Gratias tibi ago,

Many thanks, Aaron,
I am cut n pasting this directly on to Teacher Zee in Pittsburgh - the Ancient Coin Museum in her school is opening next week, so she is madly training docents and shaping up the last details - the young lad who is the Legion docent will be given this to study and learn forthwith..

Your help is greatly appreciated by all at ACE

Souzana, who comes from the shadow of Hadrian's Wall
Old Jan 21, 2004, 08:35 AM   #12
actobul

View My Photo Gallery
What a coincidence. I live in Pittsburgh also. Which school is this for? I'd love to stop by and check out the museum in person.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 09:00 AM   #13
Hauslohn

View My Photo Gallery
Pittsburgh School

You live in the Pittsburgh area - that would be great, Aaron.

Let me put you in direct touch with teacher Zee Ann Poerio - It is St Louise de Marillac School,
her direct email is
TheTTimes@aol.com
mine is
Hauslohn@att.net

pls write and give us both yr direct email and then you can set it up with Zee.

Wonderful!
Thanks
Souzana
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:43 AM   #14
Hitchuk

View My Photo Gallery
What a nice concept! I credit my interest in the hobby back to a grade school project that I did on ancient Greek coinage. A conversation about 4 years ago with my fiancee regarding memorable school projects brought the subject up; a few clicks on Ebay later and I was started!

Although I don't have any pointers about displays, please feel free to email me; I'd be happy to contribute a few coins to your mueseum.

Roger J Hitchuk
hitchuk@msn.com
Hitchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 03:56 PM   #15
Hauslohn

View My Photo Gallery
Thanks

That sounds super. Teacher Zee will be over the moon and would love some more coins.... will they be identified? I have alerted her to your post.

Whereabouts do you live, maybe there is a school near you - we have about 90 schools doing our program.

More anon - any questions, pls don't hesitate to email me

Souzana
Hauslohn@att.net