Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Forgeries > Resources
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Resources Additional information related to fakes and forgeries

Old Jan 17, 2004, 09:22 AM   #1
kevinpaulfoley

View My Photo Gallery
Books on forgery detection

Hi Wayne,

I'm in the process of reading your "Classical Deception" book and was wondering if there are 2 or 3 other books that you would particularly recommend on this topic. I realize that the only real way to become adept is probably to study 1000s of coins, but short of that, what would you recommend to someone interested in the subject?
Old Jan 17, 2004, 02:14 PM   #2
esnible

View My Photo Gallery
I can't speak for Wayne but I saw a lecture today on forgery detection by Dr. Ursula Kampmann of the ISBCC. She stressed how important a good library is for forgery detection. She recommended Klawan's book on Paduans (Imitations and Inventions of Roman Coins), Hill's book on Becker (Becker the Counterfeiter), Svoronos's book on Christodoulos, and O'Hara's appendix in Sear's Byzantine Coins and Their Values (a thirty-page section entitled "Forgeries of Byzantine Coins from the 'Beirut' and other 'Schools'").
esnible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 05:21 PM   #3
wgsant

View My Photo Gallery
Kevin;

I would echo Ed's comments and Dr. Kampmann's suggestions. There are few general works about ancient coin forgeries -- that is really the reason that Classical Deception was written. The serious student of this phenomenon will want to pay careful attention to the bibliographies in Classical Deception and build a library from the sources listed there. Seeing a lot of coins is good, but only if you have some understanding of what you are looking at.

Wayne

Wayne G. Sayles
wayne@ancientcoins.ac
wgsant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 07:50 PM   #4
esnible

View My Photo Gallery
Kroh's book on numismatic books also gives high marks to Kinn's The Caprara Forgeries and Carson's pamphlet The Geneva Forgeries.

I have the Kinn's book and it is good. I can't rate it any higher or lower than the Becker and the Christoudoulos books (although the plates are much better than the Becker). I don't collect Roman and don't have the Geneva pamphlet but it shows up on eBay occasionally and sells cheaply.

I've become interested in the laboratory studies, a subject I know nothing about. Kroh also mentions (but doesn't rate) the Metallurgy in Numismatics series and Hall's Methods of Chemical and Metallurgical Investigation of Ancient Coinage. I borrowed the first M.i.N. book from the ANA library and am finding it difficult reading. Wayne, have you read Hall's book?
esnible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 08:10 PM   #5
wgsant

View My Photo Gallery
I have Metallurgy in Numismatics I, III and IV but don't have the Hall book. I also have Antike Metallurgie und Munzpragung by Hasso Moesta and Peter Robert Franke. It is impressive and current but unfortunately for us the text is in German. The Composition of Greek Silver Coins, Analysis by Neutron Activation (in English) by Colin Kraay and Vera Emeleus is more focussed on metal analysis of specific types. All of these books are very technical and require a much greater understanding of scientific analysis than the average collector possesses. Frankly, they boggle my mind. I guess that's why I'm an art historian and not a statistician or nuclear physicist :-)

Wayne

Wayne G. Sayles
wayne@ancientcoins.ac
wgsant is offline   Reply With Quote