Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > General > Contests
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Contests Enjoyable diversions -- some with rewards!

Old Jun 27, 2007, 03:17 PM   #1
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Hieron's Coin Guess Contest

Clay has offered to give away a prize coin to the ancients.info member who guesses the final purchase price for his 2nd most expensive coin in his collection (see Hieron's gallery). The Euainetos-signed Dekadrachm in his collection is NOT part of the contest.

Here are some suggested guidelines:

1.) Contest participants must be members of ancients.info with more than a 5-post history. One guess per person.

2.) The guess is for the original purchase price in US dollars, plus commission and associated costs (not adjusted for inflation).

3.) Guesses must be logged by July 15th to this message board thread. No PM guesses or private emails will be allowed.

Last edited by cogito : Jun 27, 2007 at 06:26 PM.
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 04:16 PM   #2
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
I will add to the prize. This map of the area dated 1780. Original, Authentic and in EF condition. It is about 11x14 inches.

So you get an old coin and an old map.

M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greece-Turkey.jpg (140.0 KB, 230 views)
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 05:09 PM   #3
GMoneti

View My Photo Gallery
I'll give this a shot (one and only):

AR Syracuse, Sicily Decadrachm 400 B.C., die signed by Euainetos.

27,000 CHF original purchase price, total with taxes 31050 CHF or ~$25720 at the rate of the day.

This might turn out to be the most expensive one actually. Oh, well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EuainetosDecadrachm.jpg (30.0 KB, 215 views)
Old Jun 27, 2007, 06:24 PM   #4
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Sorry, I forgot to amend the rules to specify that the dekadrachm is not in the running. So, in actuality you are guessing for the 2nd most expensive coin in Clay's collection...a coin that he states was purchased privately and not listed on coinarchives.

To reiterate, the dekadrachm is NOT one of the coins under consideration. You are guessing for the second-most expensive coin.

Jeff
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 06:57 PM   #5
hieron

View My Photo Gallery
Thanks to Jeff for concisely explaining the rules and to Mark for the generous contribution of the nice map. Here is the Maximinus I denarius I offer as my side of the prize. It is the later portrait with Pax Augusti reverse. It's easily better than EF though the reverse is struck from a worn die (common in this time period). There is some luster, no crystallization, and a general grayish toning. My batteries on my scales just died so I can't tell you what it weighs. I will send it to the winner the week after 7/15/07 and I hope you enjoy it.
c
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MaximinusPaxAugustiContestDenarius2.jpg (96.0 KB, 210 views)
hieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:08 PM   #6
GMoneti

View My Photo Gallery
I must've missed something. Oh, well...good luck to everyone else. Btw, this is a nice denarius.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:12 PM   #7
hieron

View My Photo Gallery
Further clarification: Georgi is right about the Euainetos Decadrachm being the most expensive coin. It was too easy so we decided to let you guess at the second most expensive coin which happens to be one I did not buy at public auction so it presents more of a challenge.

Good luck to all.
c
Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:16 PM   #8
AnemicOak

View My Photo Gallery
Since I don't have a clue what most of those coins would cost, except a lot, I'll just guess with one I think is usually pretty costly...

Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:51 PM   #9
hieron

View My Photo Gallery
Georgi, since the rules were not crystal clear when you made your guess, you can have a second swing at the ball.

Remember folks, pick the coin AND guess the price paid.

This could prove to be a real brain teaser. There are a lot of variables to consider.
c
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:02 PM   #10
hieron

View My Photo Gallery
Final clarification (I hope): If you pick the correct coin and nobody else picks that coin, you win whether your price guess is in the ballpark or not. If more than one person picks the same correct coin, the one closest to the price paid wins.

What can I say? We needed a tie breaker. lol
c
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:18 PM   #11
AlexB

View My Photo Gallery
Just a quick thought. If a private sale, by reading your coins you can see where they are dealer buys, so that narrows it down tremendously...maybe an amendment needed?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:23 PM   #12
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Since I don't have a clue what most of those coins would cost, except a lot, I'll just guess with one I think is usually pretty costly...

Here in lies the challenge. One of these went for $20k but another in better condition went for $5k and yet another for $11k.

In cuse you are perplexed, join the crowd. I am still leaning towards silver, though all this gold is making this a labouring task.

M
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:25 PM   #13
hieron

View My Photo Gallery
I just made a list to see which coin was number two, Alex. I didn't know for sure myself. 7 of my top 10 most expensive coins were not from public auctions, so I think we are ok. Good thought though. The price will add another level of spread.
bw
c
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:28 PM   #14
Buzzygirl

View My Photo Gallery
Oh.My. That's quite a collection you have there, Hieron.

I'm going out on a limb and taking a guess on the second most-expensive coin in your collection. As far as the cost goes, no clue whatsoever. Your Phillip Arrhidaeus stater is one sweet coin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhilipArrhidaeusStater.jpg (6.6 KB, 190 views)
Old Jun 27, 2007, 08:45 PM   #15
AnemicOak

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4to2centophilia View Post
Here in lies the challenge. One of these went for $20k but another in better condition went for $5k and yet another for $11k.
Not to mention we have no idea when a coin was purchased for some of them. A few years can make a huge difference sometimes in what things went for.

I didn't notice we only get one guess (I just saw something silver that might be it & probably has a better shot), but I'll guess $14K for the coin I went with I suppose. Since most of Clay's coins are so far out of my normal sphere I have no real idea it's just a guess.