Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Medieval
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Medieval Medieval coinage.

Old Jan 19, 2004, 01:38 AM   #1
Bogdan

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Bogdan
Thumbs up Our collections of medieval coins...

Hello!

Most of the collectors here are interested in ancient coins, especially Roman. Well, personally I'm attracted by certain medieval coins, namely those struck in Wallachia, Moldavia and Transylvania (regions of present-day Romania) during the Middle Ages. Generally these coins are at least "scarce" and I'm always happy to get a "new" one So far I've been able to built a collection of about 140 coins, and I have a website, together with my friend Alexandru Pinzar ( http://romaniancoins.ancients.info) [thanks again Mr. Puetz!]. Soon we'll have all the Romanian text translated into English and we hope that our website will became a reference for those interested in such coins.

We are also proud to present a very rare and interesting coin: one billon denier of Vlad Dracul, the father of Vlad Tzepesh ("the Impaler", better known as Dracula ). http://romaniancoins.ancients.info/vlad2.htm
Eight coins of this kind are in Romania (including mine), two in Great Britain and one in U.S.A, as far as I know. Overall, only three specimens in private collections...

So, do we have here other collectors interested in medieval coins?...
Bogdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 05:04 PM   #2
Jotapian

View My Photo Gallery
In addition to my collection of Ancient Greek,Roman & Celtic coins I also collect medieval hammered English coins from Edward I through to Edward IV (the period 1272 to 1483). My collection comprises primarily of the Pence, Halfpence & Farthings of Edward I. My secondary area of interest is the coinage of Edward III (Groats,Halfgroats and pence) - many current Ebay sellers get confused between the various Edwards and it is not unusual to acquire a relatively scarce Penny of Edw III which the seller mistakenly believes is a common Edw I. I do not have a web site but in due course I expect to post a few images in the members photo gallery.

Cheers - Jotapian
Jotapian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 03:24 AM   #3
Bogdan

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Bogdan
Well, I also buy Wallachian and Moldavian coins over the Internet, even if I didn't found something exceptional so far. But here in Romania I've got some extraodinary specimens, such as this groschen of Petru Musat (1375-1396), one of the first Moldavian coins to be issued, which came from a hoard of 43 coins I had the chance to purchase a while ago. Note the lovely original toning (the coin was only washed).

Bogdan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pm5fl.jpg (28.7 KB, 117 views)
Bogdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:08 AM   #4
rwittauer

View My Photo Gallery
Red face I'm Really New On Collecting These Types Of Coins, Need Your Help Please

I have 25 very old coins from the Caribbean, and Medieval times, and have 25 more coins on the way in, which I purchased from a collector in Span. Coins are dated from the 1700's, or older. I was wondering if someone could please help me Identify these coins. And what the value may be on each. If you can help me, I'll send you the images of the each of the coins. Or let me know where I could post them for you to view. Or I can send you my site address

Please I need the help.

Thanking you in advance Richard rwittauer@aol.com

P. S I have collected U.S. coins and British Coins For Years, But These Have Me Completely Lost.

Or Please let me know if I can post a link to my site for you to see them.

22 more coins being added tomorrow to the site, Now I really need help in identifying them. Thanks

Last edited by rwittauer : Dec 20, 2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Adding morre information to the site
rwittauer is offline   Reply With Quote