Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > General > Contests
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Contests Enjoyable diversions -- some with rewards!

Old Feb 24, 2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Incitatus

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Incitatus
Thumbs up Our first CONTEST - Today in History entries

Dear Group;

It is with great excitement that I announce an innovative and fun new Ancients.info contest, with cash prizes of over $750!

One of my favorite parts of logging in to Ancients.info is to read the "Today in History" section, which shows interesting historical information that occurred on the given day. But, as you may have noticed, there are days where nothing is noted. We would like to fill in those gaps on the calendar with the help of our members.

For each day that doesn't have an entry, you can win a $5 VCoins Gift Card (currently accepted in over 80 VCoins stores) by submitting a historical tidbit that occurred on that day. Each submission should date to medieval times or earlier, and must include a verifiable reference. Some events are attributed to various dates in different sources, so if we already have an event listed on a different day, we will not use the submission. Only one submission will be selected for each empty day on the calendar. In case of multiple entries submitted for the same day, the most unusual and/or interesting one will be used. In the event that the same fact is submitted twice, whoever submitted it FIRST will be considered the contributor. Be sure to visit every day to see if an entry is needed!

There are over 150 empty days, so there are plenty of opportunities to win! You'll also be contributing something that the rest of our visitors will get to enjoy.

Members will be allowed to win up to 5 times per month, allowing each member to win up to $25 of VCoins Gift Cards per month. Spreading it around a bit will give everyone a chance to win! Awards will be distributed at the end of each month.

** Please note - Coin dealers are encouraged to contribute, but are not eligible to win the $5 VCoins Gift Cards.

Please email me or PM me with any questions you might have, and of course with your submissions!

Happy hunting, everyone!

Steve

Last edited by Incitatus : Feb 28, 2006 at 02:28 PM.
Incitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 03:38 PM   #2
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
This is a great idea!!

Now...where did I put that stone tablet calendar?

Jeff
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 05:50 PM   #3
admin
Administrator

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to admin
Here's a hint to get started. Be sure to visit on the 27th.

Bill
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 06:18 PM   #4
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
How do we determine which dates are still open? All I get when I click on "today in history" is a dropdown regarding Diocletian. Is there somewhere else that shows all the days? Going to the calendar section gets me nothing....
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 06:22 PM   #5
Incitatus

View My Photo Gallery
The idea is that you DON'T know ahead of time which days are empty - but if you visit the site..say...on the 27th, and see that there is no entry, then submit one and you can win. Check each day and if there's no historical entry, and you either know one or look one up, then that's all there is to it!

Steve
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:28 PM   #6
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
As if I didn't compulsively check this site enough already! Thanks for feeding the ancient coin site monkey on my back.

Jeff
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:20 AM   #7
Incitatus

View My Photo Gallery
THANK YOU to the four members who participated in contributing to yesterday's empty slot! Winners will be announced at the end of each week. Of course, there are plenty of days coming up where we need contributions, so stay tuned, and PM me when you've got something to contribute!

Cheers

Steve
Old Feb 28, 2006, 02:20 PM   #8
stmst

View My Photo Gallery
Entry for 28th February "Today in History" contest

On 28th of February 457 LeoI raised Majorian (the future emperor) to the standing of the chief commander of the army and also on the same day LeoI nominated German commander Ricimer patrician.
stmst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 02:30 PM   #9
stmst

View My Photo Gallery
another (better :-)) entry for 28th of February

On 28th of February 380 emperor Theodosius I promulgated edict proclaiming christianity the state religion of The Roman Empire.

Best regards
Martin
Old Feb 28, 2006, 08:42 PM   #10
kkwf

View My Photo Gallery
Hi Steve

Where abouts are the entries posted?

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incitatus
Dear Group;

It is with great excitement that I announce an innovative and fun new Ancients.info contest, with cash prizes of over $750!

One of my favorite parts of logging in to Ancients.info is to read the "Today in History" section, which shows interesting historical information that occurred on the given day. But, as you may have noticed, there are days where nothing is noted. We would like to fill in those gaps on the calendar with the help of our members.

For each day that doesn't have an entry, you can win a $5 VCoins Gift Card (currently accepted in over 80 VCoins stores) by submitting a historical tidbit that occurred on that day. Each submission should date to medieval times or earlier, and must include a verifiable reference. Some events are attributed to various dates in different sources, so if we already have an event listed on a different day, we will not use the submission. Only one submission will be selected for each empty day on the calendar. In case of multiple entries submitted for the same day, the most unusual and/or interesting one will be used. In the event that the same fact is submitted twice, whoever submitted it FIRST will be considered the contributor. Be sure to visit every day to see if an entry is needed!

There are over 150 empty days, so there are plenty of opportunities to win! You'll also be contributing something that the rest of our visitors will get to enjoy.

Members will be allowed to win up to 5 times per month, allowing each member to win up to $25 of VCoins Gift Cards per month. Spreading it around a bit will give everyone a chance to win! Awards will be distributed at the end of each month.

** Please note - Coin dealers are encouraged to contribute, but are not eligible to win the $5 VCoins Gift Cards.

Please email me or PM me with any questions you might have, and of course with your submissions!

Happy hunting, everyone!

Steve
kkwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:03 PM   #11
Incitatus

View My Photo Gallery
Hi Kevin!

Simply send me a private message with your entries, whenever you see an empty day come along. I will announce the contributors every week. That's all there is to it!
Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:26 PM   #12
Incitatus

View My Photo Gallery
A big THANK YOU to all those who contributed to last week's historical factoid entries. From a selection of over 20 submissions, we have selected the ones we will use. I will post the results shortly, and contact the recipients of the $5 VCoins gift card, after conferring with our site owner, Bill.

KEEP THOSE SUBMISSIONS COMING! Check every day - you never know when the next empty slot will pop up!!

Steve
Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:30 PM   #13
Incitatus

View My Photo Gallery
Hey everyone!

Victor, John Barnard, Martin, and Andrew - Your submissions have been chosen for last week. Can all four of you email me with your addresses? Bill will email you each a VCoins gift card. Keep the card, as, if you submit more historical facts, Bill can simply add to the card in the future so you won't need a second (or third) one!

Steve
Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:17 PM   #14
stmst

View My Photo Gallery
Hello!
When and where will be the choosen entries posted? - I hope that we won't be waiting another year to see them in Today in History section :-))
Best regards
Martin
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:26 PM   #15
drjbca

View My Photo Gallery
Is there a lag between what is shown in "Today in History" and the Calendar? It is close to 8:25 pm MST and the calendar shows the 14th but "Today in History" shows the item for the 13th.

John Barnard
drjbca is offline   Reply With Quote