Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > General > Attribution Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Attribution Help Ask for and receive help with UAO's (unidentified ancient objects).

Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:53 AM   #1
Alan

View My Photo Gallery
Nabataean Coinage

Hi all, I recently got a bit interested in this area, are there any good books out there? I can't seem to find much of anything.
Regards,
Alan
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:20 PM   #2
djmacdo

View My Photo Gallery
Nabataean bibliography

Try the following:

Bowsher, J.M.C., 1990. “Early Nabataean Coinage,” ARAM 2:1-2 (1990), pp. 221-228.

Meshorer, Ya'akov. Nabataean Coins, Qedem Monographs 3 (Hebrew University, Jerusalem; 1975).

Meshorer, Y., SNG American Numismatic Society, Part 6; Palestine - South Arabia (New York, 1981).

Schmitt-Korte, K. “Nabataean Coinage: Part II, New Coin Types and Variants,” Numismatic Chronicle, Volume 150, London (1990), pp. 105-131.

Bowsher, J.M.C., 1990. Early Nabataean Coinage, ARAM 2:1-2, 1990, pp.221-228.
Discusses the early anonymous coins from stratified examples excavated in Petra.

Hoover, O.D., 2006. A Reassessment of Nabatean Lead Coinage in Light of New Discoveries, Numismatic Chronicle, Vol.166, 2006, pp.105-119, pl.27-30.

Kushnir-Stein, A. and Gitler, H., 1992-3. Numismatic Evidence from Tel Beer-Sheva and the Beginning of Nabatean Coinage, Israel Numismatic Journal 12, 1992-3, pp.13-20, pl.1-2.
Catalogues the 60 early anonymous Nabatean coins found in excavations at Tel Beer-Sheva, Israel, since 1969 and argues that this coinage started between 129/8 and 104 BC.
djmacdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:40 AM   #3
Alan

View My Photo Gallery
Thank you Djmacdo! Already got a deal on 2 of them.
Regards
Alan
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:18 PM   #4
djmacdo

View My Photo Gallery
It is an interesting field. I like overstruck coins and the earliest Nabataean bronzes are often overstruck on Ptolemaic bronzes. There is a puzzle, however--the Nabataean bronzes are dated to the end of the second century B.C., and the overstruck Ptolemaic pieces are early or mid third century B.C., but where enough of the overstruck coins are visible, they seem to be virtually unworn examples! There are a number of possible explanations, but no clear evidence for any of them.

Mac
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Alan

View My Photo Gallery
So Mac, what are your thoughts on the overstruck Ptolemies? Such a big time gap between Ptolemy II, III and Aretas II. Something doesn't seem right.

Al
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:58 PM   #6
djmacdo

View My Photo Gallery
That is exactly my thought--something does not look right. I have couple of the overstrikes where one can see that Ptolemaic piece was sharp and unworn when overstruck. What the solution is, I do nto know. It is easy to come up with several hypotheses--such the Nabataeans uncovered an enormous hoard of small Ptolemaic Aes and overstruck them, or, perhaps more reasonably, that this coinage extended over a relatively long time, beginning much earlier than previously thought. The problem is that I know of no evidence bearing on these hypotheses, and there is nothing more useless than a hypothesis that cannot be tested.

Mac