Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > General > Attribution Help
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Attribution Help Ask for and receive help with UAO's (unidentified ancient objects).

Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
eastray

View My Photo Gallery
who made this and how? (from good source but...)

Eastray again, with a coin from a lot of Central Asian / Indian ancients and early medieval. I don't have any reason to mistrust the source, but still...
"Don't remember the kingdom---but the face rings a bell". The problem is it sure looks odd, tooled or cast . Deep incised lines or cuts seem to be the manner of creating the coin . If it is real...how was it done? who would tool such a cheap coin? Although the lot I have contains a many fine coins..I am getting the feeling I also collect buttons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whohowae.jpg (63.7 KB, 61 views)
eastray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
djmacdo

View My Photo Gallery
How!

A dremel tool, a couple of circular punches, and a couple of minutes on a buffing wheel are all that would have been required. Perhaps it even started off as a very poorly preserved real coin, but certainly it has been completely resurfaced to the point nothing original survives. You would be surprised at how quickly someone can turn out something like this. Tourist trade pieces need only look exotic.

Mac
djmacdo is offline   Reply With Quote