Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Forgeries > Authenticity
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Authenticity Distinguishing between genuine and fake objects.

Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:50 PM   #1
rol69

View My Photo Gallery
contemporary or modern imitation ? any opinion ?

Dear fellow collectors,

I am collecting coins from the Lugdunum mint and also (especially) their imitations; I just found this one for sale; very interesting coin but I have some doubts about it ; is it a contemporary or a modern imitation ?? The opinion of the seller is that it is an ancient imitation, extremely well done. He may be right but I would greatly appreciate your opinions. For me, the style is too perfect, especially the reverse; but ??

Thank you,

Roland.

Silver, 1.68 grams, 17.30mm.

Obverse: DN IVLIAN-VS AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right. Reverse: VICTORIAE-DD NN AVGG, Victory advancing left, one wing visible, holding wreath and palm. Mintmark LVG in exergue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imitation ?.jpg (44.2 KB, 117 views)
rol69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 05:30 AM   #2
planet

View My Photo Gallery
Hello Roland, It's difficult to say if your siliqua is modern or not. It's not the style of the reverse who is inusual but the flank who seem flat, round, thick and without crack. In fact, only keeping the coin in hand will allowed to be sure. So good luck !
François
I have me too a nice imitative siliqua from Lyons...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg julianus2LVG.jpg (51.9 KB, 95 views)
planet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:43 AM   #3
rol69

View My Photo Gallery
great style

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post
Hello Roland, It's difficult to say if your siliqua is modern or not. It's not the style of the reverse who is inusual but the flank who seem flat, round, thick and without crack. In fact, only keeping the coin in hand will allowed to be sure. So good luck !
François
I have me too a nice imitative siliqua from Lyons...
Thanks François, for your comment; unfortunately, I will have to buy the coin in order to have it in hand; still don't know ....

and thanks for the picture of your imitation ; what a coin !

Stylistically, I find your piece to be very attractive.

here is another julian imitation from my collection (found in England); not as nice as yours but interesting with its engraver's errors.

17 mm ; 1,64 gr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I 141-144 A.jpg (36.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg I 141-144 R.jpg (36.4 KB, 94 views)
rol69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 04:59 AM   #4
planet

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rol69 View Post
Thanks François, for your comment; unfortunately, I will have to buy the coin in order to have it in hand; still don't know ....

and thanks for the picture of your imitation ; what a coin !

Stylistically, I find your piece to be very attractive.

here is another julian imitation from my collection (found in England); not as nice as yours but interesting with its engraver's errors.

17 mm ; 1,64 gr
Roland, You're right, the style of your siliqua is very attractive. My siliqua came certainly from England too, even if I've bought it in an german auction. Some months ago, I've take photos from a publication of recent hoards found in England but I've forgotten to note the title of the book... here is the plate who show siliquae similar to ours coins.

François
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J2GBjpg.jpg (90.7 KB, 60 views)
planet is offline   Reply With Quote