Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Greek
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Greek Ancient Greek coinage.

Old May 31, 2013, 07:29 PM   #1
cerberuscoins

View My Photo Gallery
Unidentified Greek coin

Hi

Ive spent hours trying to find an exact match for this coin. I dont doubt that one of you will take significantly less time...any ideas?

10mm, 2.0 grams
cerberuscoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:58 AM   #2
cerberuscoins

View My Photo Gallery
Some comments from a friend:

There have been a lot of vars of the Paestum coins cropping up since Crawford wrote his work, so perhaps yours is a var type of 31/2. Although it looks from a different style as the example in Vecchi.

Dots as marks of value was very much an Italian thing, rather than Spain.
There was a lot of "traffic" and trade between Italy and Spain back in the old days which may account for it being found in Spain. It does not appear to be a Spanish coin and is not in Burgos, Villaronga, Head HN or even the new (as yet unpublished, 4-volume) Vecchi work on Etruscan coinage or Plant's Greek Coin Types, or in any of the other books I've looked in.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 02:15 PM   #3
dltcoins

View My Photo Gallery
Here is another example of the same type (11mm, 2.68gm), which I selected from a hoard of Indo-Parthian drachms several years ago. I have never been able nail down a precise attribution. However, the other coins in the hoard were AE "drachms" (similar fabric and module) of Rujuvula, Gondophares and successors (Cf. Cribb, 'New Evidence of Indo-Parthian Political History', Coin Hoards VII, 1985, pp. 282-290, esp. p. 284, fig. 35, 24a; See also MACW 2497ff; 2636ff, esp. 2643).

The obverse bust wears a helmet similar to Cribb 24a; the reverse may or may not be a crude attempt at the standard Pallas type with control marks. It may also be something entirely different, such as a tamgha. They are very crudely engraved and could conceivably be contemporary imitations of some sort.

In any event, the milieu to which these coins belong is northern Pakistan (Jammu/Kashmir), late Indo-Parthian to the time of the Kushan conquest, c. 1st century AD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UnknownIndoParthian.jpg (76.3 KB, 56 views)
Twitter twitter.com/dltcoins/
Facebook facebook.com/dltcoins

Last edited by dltcoins : Jun 3, 2013 at 02:35 PM.
dltcoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 07:00 AM   #4
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
The reverse resembles a caduceus. Similar to those on the reveres elephant bronzes of Demetrios I Aniketos. I am not suggesting it is from that reign, but the image looks like a crude version of a caduceus.
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 02:53 PM   #5
cerberuscoins

View My Photo Gallery
Thank you David for the information, it certainly appears to be a very similar coin to yours. The one I have posted is a Spanish find which is also another piece of the puzzle.