Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Announcements > Online Sales
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Online Sales Personal auction and sale announcements and discussion.

Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:25 AM   #1
leetoone

View My Photo Gallery
Rare London Mint Coins for Sale

Important London Mint Coins for Sale

Rare coins from the Toone collection are being offered for sale in the next Spink auction to be held on 22nd September 2015. This first batch comprises those which were previously known to the compilers of RIC. The next batch in December will consist of new types. Both selections contain some very rare coins and many are plate coins in the recently published book ‘The London Mint of Constantius and Constantine’.

The auction catalogue can be found here – https://www.spink.com/find-auctions.aspx

If anyone would like to see higher resolution images of any of the coins, please get in touch by PM.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:31 AM   #2
leetoone

View My Photo Gallery
Just to let you know that the images for my London mint coins in the forthcoming Spink sale have now been uploaded on to thesaleroom.com site and are much better than the ones in the online catalogue.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...ent=buttonlink

Best wishes

Lee
Old Oct 16, 2015, 01:59 AM   #3
leetoone

View My Photo Gallery
More Important London Mint Coins for Sale

*** Preview Now Available***

More coins from the Toone collection are being offered for sale in the next Spink auction to be held on 2nd December 2015. This batch will consist of new types previously unrecorded in RIC and contains some very rare coins and many are plate coins in the recently published book ‘The London Mint of Constantius and Constantine’ by Cloke and Toone (CT). Amongst them is the coin pictured below, a nummus of Constantine with a laureate helmeted, trabeate bust of Constantine facing left holding a globe in his right hand that is surmounted by a figure of Victory (CT 7.08.009 plate coin).

This bust type is extremely rare. Only five coins are known with this bust type, all struck from the same obverse die. Two have this reverse type and three are examples of CT 7.03.040 with the COMITI AVGG NN reverse. This coin is illustrated on the CT plate and is one of only two known of this type, the other example was sold by CNG in Triton X.

The Spink auction catalogue will be found here in due course – https://www.spink.com/find-auctions.aspx

In the meantime, a preview of provisional catalogue entries and high resolution images of the coins are available http://www.hookmoor.com/home/?page_id=799. If anyone would like any further information, please get in touch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Constantine holding Victoriola.jpg (80.0 KB, 17 views)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 06:09 AM   #4
leetoone

View My Photo Gallery
Rare London Mint Coins - Spink Catalogue Now Online

Spink December Auction

The second batch of London mint coins from the Toone collection are being offered for sale in the next Spink auction to be held on 2nd December 2015. This batch will consist of new types previously unrecorded in RIC and contains some very rare coins. Many are plate coins in the recently published book ‘The London Mint of Constantius and Constantine’ by Cloke and Toone (CT). The Spink catalogue is now online and also on The Saleroom website. My own images of these coins with my original descriptions are still on the Hookmoor website here - http://www.hookmoor.com/home/?page_id=799

There is an error in the Spink auction catalogue description of Lot 651 where some vital information regarding die linkages has been omitted. My original full description reads:

Diocletian (AD 284-305) AE Nummus (27.6 x 25.7 mm 10.65 g 6h) Obverse IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG Laureate head of Diocletian. Reverse GENIO POPVLI ROMANI Genius standing right. London mint c. AD 296. RIC –, CT 1.02.001. Ex Toone collection. A rare early issue of the reformed London mint that can be differentiated from the unmarked continental mint issues by style and the distinctly smaller lettering. Obverse and reverse die match to CT plate coin 1.02.001(2). Obverse die match to the Fitzwilliam (CM-2409) and Lincoln (U 8271) examples, the latter both ex Market Stainton hoard.

It would be a shame if that information was lost.