Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Forgeries > Forgery Alerts
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Forgery Alerts Reports and discussion regarding possible forgeries.

Old Apr 5, 2007, 05:27 AM   #1
Arthur Brand

View My Photo Gallery
Fake Athenian Dekadrachm

Dear List,

Let me tell you the real story about the Baldwin Athenian Dekadrachm.

Apart from the Elmali-hoard and the Carchemish-hoard, supposedly three
Athenian Dekadrachms were found separately, two in Syria and one in
Egypt. These Dekas were showed secretely to the British Museum (say
cheese Andrew Meadows) for authentication. One of the three was the
Deka currently offered by Baldwin. After this, the coin was offered
for sale in London but nobody dared to touch it after the Elmali-
debacle.

Apart from this, some people doubted the coin. The low relief of the
obverse was a bad sign. But after a lot of discussions, the coin was
generally accepted as real. The theory made was that this Deka was
part of a so-called third group (see description catalogue Baldwin).
At this very moment, Ute Wartenberg and her team are preparing an
article about this theory...

The coin was offered to Baldwin by the Syrian dealer Haid Kaysoun
though Baldwin states that the coin comes from an Austrian collection
(gimme a break).

And now the real story.

The coin is FAKE!!!!
The doubts in the beginning were right!
As a matter a fact, the fake was made by the guy who did many of the
British Museum forgeries back in the early nineties...
The winner is: Giacomo from Sicily...
I have one of these guys on tape, stating that he was behind it.

More news to follow.

Regards,

Arthur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baldwins2.jpg (144.9 KB, 186 views)
Arthur Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 09:27 AM   #2
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Interesting. At least we're naming names, which can then be confirmed. I suspect, however, that short of you posting an electronic version of the audio confession there will be reactionary push-back on the claims.

It is standard scientific method to seek to test a theory or claim against a null hypothesis, so in effect one is constrained to either rejecting the null (i.e., tentative evidence for the hypothesized relationship) or "failing to reject" the null (i.e., lack of evidence to support hypothesized relationship).

When dealing with coins of such potential importance and cost (i.e., > $200K), it might be prudent to argue that the null state should be one of fakery. Therefore, it is the burden of those making claims of authenticity to provide evidence supporting a claim that the "null is false." Whether this rephrasing of burden holds for all ancients is probably not appropriate, but I could see where one could use the prior probabilities of fakes in a certain coin type and use this to determine which way the burden equation should be shifted.

Flame away...

Jeff
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 09:37 AM   #3
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
Interesting. At least we're naming names, which can then be confirmed. I suspect, however, that short of you posting an electronic version of the audio confession there will be reactionary push-back on the claims.

It is standard scientific method to seek to test a theory or claim against a null hypothesis, so in effect one is constrained to either rejecting the null (i.e., tentative evidence for the hypothesized relationship) or "failing to reject" the null (i.e., lack of evidence to support hypothesized relationship).

When dealing with coins of such potential importance and cost (i.e., > $200K), it might be prudent to argue that the null state should be one of fakery. Therefore, it is the burden of those making claims of authenticity to provide evidence supporting a claim that the "null is false." Whether this rephrasing of burden holds for all ancients is probably not appropriate, but I could see where one could use the prior probabilities of fakes in a certain coin type and use this to determine which way the burden equation should be shifted.

Flame away...

Jeff

Gee whiz, you just made my head hurt.

I will play it safe and simply retract my bid on the coin.
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Roma_Orbis

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4to2centophilia View Post
Gee whiz, you just made my head hurt.
Can you imagine mine, as English is not my Mother language
Roma_Orbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 09:48 AM   #5
Arthur Brand

View My Photo Gallery
I met Andrew (curator BM) and he is indeed an expert.
He was the one who initially condemned the coin but after the green light of Fischer-Bosschert, he accepted it for real.
Never change your first impression Andrew!

Art
Old Apr 5, 2007, 09:54 AM   #6
Arthur Brand

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Interesting. At least we're naming names, which can then be confirmed.
You have a bad memory...
In the article in which I unmasked the other fake Deka (CNG,HJB,Kovacs) I gave all the names and all the details.
Btw, of course I will not reveal the tape. Instead we will wait for Meadows to tell here that I am right that he condemned the coin.

Regards,

Art
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:00 AM   #7
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_Orbis View Post
Can you imagine mine, as English is not my Mother language

I THOUGHT it was mine.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:06 AM   #8
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
Arrow

Sorry. I was in between research manuscript preparation and forgot to turn off my jargon sensor.

Null hypotheses can be varied, but on a very basic level it could be something as simple as:

"A" equals "B"

In which case, the testable hypothesis could be:

"A" does not equal "B"

------------------

If this this simple and testable logic statement is translated to ancient coins and fakes, then the null ("A" equals "B") would be that the coin "A" is fake "B". The testable hypothesis ("A" does not equal "B"), in turn, would be the coin "A" is not a fake "B".

The key is that with high-end, important coins where the probability of fakery is high, evidence should be accumulated and described to support authenticity not fakery. If such evidence is not forthcoming or does not supercede evidence of fakery, then the null hypothesis ("A" equals "B"; coin "A" is fake "B") cannot be rejected.

Not sure if I helped or hurt with this explanation...

Jeff
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:15 AM   #9
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Sorry. I was in between research manuscript preparation and forgot to turn off my jargon sensor.

Null hypotheses can be varied, but on a very basic level it could be something as simple as:

"A" equals "B"

In which case, the testable hypothesis could be:

"A" does not equal "B"

------------------

If this this simple and testable logic statement is translated to ancient coins and fakes, then the null ("A" equals "B") would be that the coin "A" is fake "B". The testable hypothesis ("A" does not equal "B"), in turn, would be the coin "A" is not a fake "B".

The key is that with high-end, important coins where the probability of fakery is high, evidence should be accumulated and described to support authenticity not fakery. If such evidence is not forthcoming or does not supercede evidence of fakery, then the null hypothesis ("A" equals "B"; coin "A" is fake "B") cannot be rejected.

Not sure if I helped or hurt with this explanation...

Jeff

The pain is too great.............I just comitted suicide.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:19 AM   #10
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
I'll be sure to attend your estate sale and take those worthless coins off your family's hands.

Jeff
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:25 AM   #11
vozmozhno

View My Photo Gallery
We were doing these types of problems in probability and statistics class about 2 semesters ago. The problem is that 5 minutes after I walked out of the final, I forgot everything I knew

Voz
vozmozhno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:26 AM   #12
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
I'll be sure to attend your estate sale and take those worthless coins off your family's hands.

Jeff
They probably are worthless, I never did that Null thingy to them that you keep talking about.

BR

Mark (from the spirit world)
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:16 AM   #13
bpmurphy
Super Moderator

View My Photo Gallery
Jeff,

"The key is that with high-end, important coins where the probability of fakery is high"

This isn't true and such statements are careless.

Art,

"Btw, of course I will not reveal the tape"

What's new? Another hearsay story with no evidence and no one willing to back up your story. Give us a break Art. And why can't Andrew Meadows change his mind? You changed your mind on this coin, your informers originally claiming it was from the Carchemish hoard now saying it's fake. Is it stolen, fake or none of the above? I guess it depends on which informers you're listening to that day. Maybe some of your informers have their own agenda and you're just their dupe. If you want anyone to believe you Art, you need more proof.

I haven't seen the catalog or the coin yet so I can't comment on the Dekadrachm and since it's not a coin I'll be bidding on I really don't care and probabaly won't spend too much time looking at it. I am getting a little tired of these unsubstantiated posts claiming such and such is fake or stolen because Mr. X told me so. I haven't moderated this thread, in fact I haven't moderated any of your posts Art, but this National Enquirer journalism is starting to wear on my nerves a bit. There are plenty of places where your sensationalistic stories will get lots of coverage. I'd like to see us keep ancient.info out of the gutter. "Mr. X told me it was fake and I have a secret audio tape" is just grandstanding. You can do better than that Art.

Barry Murphy
bpmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:23 AM   #14
bpmurphy
Super Moderator

View My Photo Gallery
While I'm at it Art, you never did reply to my request in the thread about the BOC's. Post images (your own images) of the fakes in your collection that were in the BOC. You claimed to have found three, oh wait, you found another, four coins in your collection that were in the BOC, sold to you by reputable dealers. Since most people still don't have access to the BOC's you should publish your fakes so others don't get stuck with them.

You weren't just blowing hot air were you Art? You do have photos?

Barry
bpmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:25 AM   #15
Arthur Brand

View My Photo Gallery
What do you mean by hearsay Barry?
I was the one who revealed the Carchemish-hoard. Was I wrong with that?
I was the one who revealed that the CNG-Deka (also a fake by Giacomo), which was sold at HJB/Freeman auction, is considered a fake by almost all experts AND the ISBCC. Was I wrong with that?
It seems that you are not well informed on this coin Barry. More then one expert said that this coin is a pure fake.

Art