Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Greek
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Greek Ancient Greek coinage.

Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:23 PM   #1
paul1888

View My Photo Gallery
RI MD admits guilt in NY rare-coin case with twist

Hello,

Interesting judgment in Rhode Island hand surgeon Dr. Arnold-Peter Weiss who had his coins confiscated during the January coin auctions. Interesting to see what results from this trial.

Paul

http://www.knoe.com/story/18945027/r...e-with-a-twist
paul1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 01:02 AM   #2
cogito

View My Photo Gallery
"Weiss must forfeit his interest in 23 coins seized from him when he was arrested..." I wonder what coins he was forced to give up as part of the Italian deal? I fully expect those coins to go straight to an Italian museum and be put on display for all to see.

J
cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:03 PM   #3
vozmozhno

View My Photo Gallery
First of all I would like to know if there are any photos of the fake coins and whether they are die matches to decadrachms sold by major dealers/auction houses.

Secondly, the idea of forcing someone to write a propaganda piece (contrary to their true beliefs) to be pawned off as "scholarship" is judicial overreach. It is a tactic straight out of a communist re-education camp. It frankly betrays a patronizing attitude on the part of the judge towards the readership of the target journals, as if they were not already well aware of the issues involved.
vozmozhno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 05:38 PM   #4
paul1888

View My Photo Gallery
Is any numismatic magazine or periodical going to agree to publish his article?
paul1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 06:51 PM   #5
RobertB

View My Photo Gallery
you'd have to think the archeological publications will fall all over themselves to publish it.

I also agree 100% with voz, I'm also bothered by someone being forced by a govt court to make statements that they might or might not agree with. Someone commits a crime, give 'em a jail sentence or fine, I don't see where either public embarassment or mandatory political re-education needs to be part of it. What's next, a doctor convicted of medicare fraud has to write an article praising obamacare?

--Robert