Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Greek
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Greek Ancient Greek coinage.

Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:22 PM   #1
livingwater

View My Photo Gallery
Athens owl cast or struck?

I recently purchased this Athens owl on ebay from an estate dealer who said this was a reproduction made of "brass." It looks like silver to me, but I haven't received it yet in the mail. I wonder if it's cast or struck. Do any of you keen eyed ancient coin lovers have an opinion about this coin? The reverse incuse to the right of the owl looks a bit odd like it's cast or a die flaw, but I'm not that much of an expert on such things. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Athens Owl reproduction mine.jpg (17.5 KB, 124 views)
livingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 06:25 PM   #2
GMoneti

View My Photo Gallery
Brass should be yellowish. I think it's usually not alloyed with more than 40% zinc, so it shouldn't be white in appearance if brass. Maybe it's a photo trick but it appears to be struck in silver. It would be nice if it turns out it's real and you got it at a reproduction price.

Another thing - the shape of the reverse seems different, more round than the obverse. Any chance this is a photo of two different coins shot from one side? Maybe I am seeing things, the sun got to me today.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:03 AM   #3
reidgold

View My Photo Gallery
This is a silver-plated brass cast replica made for New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art and sold by the museum's gift shop in large numbers in the 1950s and 1960s. This specimen like all of these particular replicas has a center dimple on the obverse, an edge cut at 8 o'clock on the obverse and 6 o'clock on the reverse, and prominent casting pits, and it in all likelihood weighs around or somewhat under 10 grams.
reidgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:19 AM   #4
livingwater

View My Photo Gallery
Athens Owl

Thanks much for the info and for the links to your very informative web site. Mark
livingwater is offline   Reply With Quote