Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities  

Go Back   Ancients.info - The Online Resource for Ancient Coins & Antiquities > Coin Talk > Roman
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Sidebar Off

Roman Roman Republican, Imperatorial, and Imperial coinage.

Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:03 PM   #1
Vepcorf

View My Photo Gallery
Aureus of Phillip II

Found by a detectorist yesterday in the same field I was searching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold.jpg (77.9 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg gold1.jpg (67.6 KB, 284 views)
Vepcorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:14 PM   #2
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Wow.

What a great hobby in a great country for discoveries.

M
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:36 PM   #3
curtislclay

View My Photo Gallery
Looks very like this modern fake from the Forvm Fake Reports, unfortunately.

The captive at Philip's feet on reverse is missing on the Forvm specimen, but the dies on both sides appear to be the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhilipIIAureusFake.jpg (94.0 KB, 279 views)

Last edited by curtislclay : Aug 28, 2007 at 07:31 PM.
curtislclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:54 PM   #4
ancientcoins

View My Photo Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to ancientcoins
If this is a fake, it really is unfortunate.

What I wonder about stories like this, though, is how did the modern fake get into the ground? Was it planted by a troublemaker one day?

If we know for a fact the detectorist did dig this up out of the ground, that seems to be the only explanation I can see.

Please excuse my possible ignorance on this subject, I am not familiar with metal detecting at all, and especially with coin hunting.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 01:17 AM   #5
areich

View My Photo Gallery
If it wasn't gold (is it?) it could have been planted there, such stories have been common
in the short time I've been in coin collecting. But a fake aureus made of good gold is too valuable for that.
areich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 06:33 PM   #6
Vepcorf

View My Photo Gallery
Well the event was run near st Albans and there were around 150 detectorists. The coin was said to be found at the rally and shown to the local museum who were at the rally so I would think that would be risky if they knew it was fake as the British Museum will sure to be wanting to buy it. I was told that one has not been dug up for 15 years in England. This was the picture taken at the rally thats why it is not in good focus.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Vepcorf

View My Photo Gallery
I have noticed that this coin has been recorded with the PAS scheme in the UK details are:

A gold Aureus of Philip II as caesar, in very fine condition. This coin, which dates from AD 244-246, is thought to be the first gold coin of Philip II to have been found in Britain. The reverse type - PRINCIPI IVVENT (Philip II standing left, holding globe and spear; to left, at foot, a captive wearing Phrygian hat, seated left) is not published in the Roman Imperial Coinage volumes, but is an amalgam of different features on existing coins; the globe appears on RIC 218; the captive on RIC 219; the spear on RIC 220 (see coin classification). Measures 19.5mm in diameter, 1.4mm thick and weighs 3.1g.

maybe not a fake then?

http://www.findsdatabase.org.uk/hms/...146F8E15E012C8
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:06 AM   #8
bpmurphy
Super Moderator

View My Photo Gallery
Nope, still fake.

Barry Murphy
bpmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:18 AM   #9
dlyumkis

View My Photo Gallery
With the better pic in the database, you can definately see the die match to the modern fake. The style of the portrait is exactly the same, as is the lettering and Phillip II on the back. Also, finding a coin that is a compilation of RIC references is not exactly doing it justice. The RIC was quite meticulous in recording all the higher denomination varieties, so it isn't common to find an unlisted aureus. Just goes to show that not everything that is recorded in public databases is necessarily authentic.

Dmitry
dlyumkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 01:13 PM   #10
hydatius

View My Photo Gallery
It just proves that they don't check the Forum fake reports...
hydatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 01:56 PM   #11
hieron

View My Photo Gallery
Weight

The weight of 3.1g is also low for an aureus of this time period and is suspiciously close to 1/10th of an ounce. The forger may have taken a 1/10th ounce bullion gold coin and struck this forgery. -h
hieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 02:51 PM   #12
4to2centophilia

View My Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieron View Post
The weight of 3.1g is also low for an aureus of this time period and is suspiciously close to 1/10th of an ounce. The forger may have taken a 1/10th ounce bullion gold coin and struck this forgery. -h

Hmmmm...........that is pretty crafty thinking.

I may need to take a second look at that gallery of aureii you have
4to2centophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:40 PM   #13
AlexB

View My Photo Gallery
Vepcorf

Don't underestimate the ability of people to plant such things, whether from the ground or from elsewhere. Also, as has been said, ironically the museums are not always equipped to know fakes given their limited 'real world' experience!

I would send to Fitzwilliam or BM for comment personally, the local museum is unlikely to know and be also be open to over-enthusiasm.

Brgds

Alex

nb. plus Curtis and Barry KNOW their stuff.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:08 PM   #14
bpmurphy
Super Moderator

View My Photo Gallery
I wouldn't be surprised if the "finder" dropped it from his pocket, making him the hero of the day. Maybe he has another from the same dies that is now "authentic". I don't know the finder so I could be way off, but it wouldn't be the first time a fake was planted to "authenticate" the dies.

Barry Murphy
bpmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:17 AM   #15
Vepcorf

View My Photo Gallery
I must say i was very suspicious at the time as Roman gold coins are very very rare as detector finds as single losses. Most detectorists i know who have been detecting for 30 years have not found one. The lucky detectorists that find one usualy go on to find they are in a hoard such as the Oxon hoard in 1995. It's unfortunate we have characters around who will try to con be it for profit or to make themselves look like they have achieved a great find to others.